28. Mär 2024, 12:17 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: On the remaster of the BfME 2 Campaigns  (Gelesen 995 mal)

Watcher

• Thain des Auenlandes
On the remaster of the BfME 2 Campaigns
« am: 26. Nov 2022, 13:41 »
Greetings Edain Team and fair community. After playing the campaign's a while ago and being directed by Elendil's Cousin, I've finally decided to share my thoughts on each individual mission of the remastered vanilla campaigns of BfME 2.

I haven't actually seen much discussion regarding it (maybe I just missed it) , so I hope to spark a bit here. I also hope my feedback regarding some of the issues I encountered will be taken into consideration.

This is a somewhat long post, but I've tried to avoid talking too much about each mission. As it is, I didn't have many problems with the majority of the missions so there wasn't much to say about some if them (besides the fun parts).

Let me go ahead.

[Good Campaign]:

(Mission 1: Rivendell):
- Difficulty Level: 1.
This mission was slightly more difficult than in vanilla, but that didn't detract at all from its enjoyment. One thing I really liked about this mission was the addition of the Dúnedain Rangers appearing to assist you during the defense. Not much else to say as this was a good mission.

(Mission 2: High Pass):
- Difficulty Level: 2.
Another fun mission that felt very similar to the old BfME 2. The addition of destroying lairs to upgrade your troops actually had me squealing in glee as I never expected it! Another good mission.

(Mission 3: Ettenmoors):
- Difficulty Level: 4.
This one caught me by surprise. I didn't know what the timer was until I lost the mission :D I think the timer might need to be made longer, but at its current pace it makes the mission feel more urgent (if slightly rushed) so that's cool. I was a bit dissapointed to see the same old Ent Moot again; I was hoping it would be replaced by something more lore-friendly. But those were just my expectations playing up and it serves its purpose balance-wise so I guess its fine. Another good mission.

(Mission 4: Blue Mountains):
- Difficulty Level: 3.
This mission was actually kind of difficult once the actual tunnel-crawling began, but like Rivendell it served to be more fun. Drogoth felt a bit strong for me personally, though. Maybe I just wasn't prepared enough. Good mission.

(Mission 5: Grey Havens):
- Difficulty Level: 5.
I had no fun in this mission, and it was entirely my fault. The reason being that I forgot I'd have to build ships in the beggining so instead I built a bunch of Lindon Guardians and wasted my command points :D No fortress in Mithlond is kind of a problem as well. Would have been a decent mission if I didn't mess up (also, Gloin somehow completely vanished as soon as the mission started...).

(Mission 6: Celduin):
- Difficulty Level: 7.
This mission was really really tough, but winnable. The difficulty made it seem as desperate as it was, and it definetly forced me to act smartly to win compared to the breeze-though of the original. One complaint I have is that Brand isn't present, as I could have greatly benefited from his abilities.

(Mission 7: Erebor):
- Difficulty Level: 10.
This mission was so difficult that I didn't even finish it after about four tries. I saw someone say that Thranduil never shows up which I'm sure is part of the reason. Another problem is the sudden cavalry charge of Haradrim Lancers that comes out of nowhere and completely messes you up since Dwarves aren't too good at dealing with cavalry (and if you're still dealing with other enemies at the time, you'll suffer massive damage (this is from first-hand experience :D) The absence of barracks and forges from the Builders options and the only available forges proximity to the gates is a massive problem, as losing the forges means losing the ability to upgrade your troops. The low command point limit was a bit of a bother, too.

Also, would it be too much to ask for some gates on the side entrances? :D

I think this mission could also benifit from Brand and maybe even Thorin III Stonehelm.

(Mission 8: Dol Guldur):
This mission was surprisingly easy for the final. The fact that Khamul never shows up is probably part of the reason, but it was simple even in the original game I suppose. More difficulty could be added I think. Fun mission otherwise, though.

[Evil Campaign]:

(Mission 1: Lothlórien):
This was the mission that told me how much fun the Edain Evil Campaign would be. Also the optional-missions levelling up the heroes was a cool addition. Not much to say besides that, though.

(Mission 2: Grey Havens):
I'll be honest, I didn't finish this mission cause it crashed about halfway through. No comment. Maybe if I'll play it again sometime and have something to say :D

(Mission 3: The Shire):
This mission was really fun. I used to hate it in the old BfME, but its actually really good in Edain. Really loved this mission.

(Mission 4: Fornost):
- Difficulty Level: 3.
Another mission I really loved, though I loved it even before Edain. The right amount of difficulty and fun, new and old put together to create a glorious masterpiece.

(Mission 5: Mirkwood):
- Difficulty Level: 7.
This one was tough before and after Edain. The addition of Thranduil was nice, though. Good mission once you get past the slight difficulty.

(Mission 6: Withered Heath):
Another mission that was sort of hard before and after Edain. Not much else to say, though. Very similar to Mirkwood in its difficulty and fun once you get past that.

(Mission 7: Erebor):
Much, much easier than in the good campaign. Gloin's assault almost got me, but I sent that Dwarf back into the ground where he belongs.

Just like in the original mission, I had no idea why we went to the Withered Heath in the first place if we weren't going to use Dragons on the Mountain... (I know the spellbook has the Wyrm and Beasts of Ered Mithrin, but maybe a few Fire Drakes or Cold Drakes as allies to make the use of Dragons less optional? Unless I missed something...).

(Mission 8: Rivendell):
Actually getting into Rivendell was harder than getting into Dol Guldur, but I didn't find much difficulty otherwise. This mission was pretty easy in the original too, and just like in the original, I mostly just beat the enemy down with my powers (though Galadriel and the Fellowshop were a pain to deal with).

[Overall Thoughts]:

The Evil Campaign is definetly more developed than its Good counterpart. The missions still had a lot of their old flair, which was nice. Some were too difficult, others too easy. I was a tad confused when I found out that the Evil Spellbook was actually kind of mixed while the Good one just switched back and forth between missions? I've got some ideas for revised spellbooks for both sides if anyone's interested, or maybe the Team's already working on that (and a lot of the other points I made, I'm sure).

Overall the campaigns were really fun and the nostalgia hit hard. The Edain Team set out to remake the campaigns in their style, and they did just that. So thank you for bringing BfME II into the Edain Mod, and I can't wait for BfME I to eventually join it as well!

I hope this wasn't too long and didn't seem too critical (cause I didn't intend for it to, but it reads like that to me). Both campaigns were really good and I had a lot of fun (except for the Erebor mission in the Good Campaign :D).

Hope to hear others thoughts.
"The pool is up to the west-gate..."

Birds

• Edain Team
  • Bibliothekar Bruchtals
Re: On the remaster of the BfME 2 Campaigns
« Antwort #1 am: 26. Nov 2022, 15:03 »
Thanks for the feedback. Nice to hear that you liked it and it was (mostly) fun to play.

It seems that only good Erebor was really bad for you. It's supposed to be difficult but of course playable, so i'll take a look at it.
Zitat
I think this mission could also benifit from Brand and maybe even Thorin III Stonehelm.
I didn't even think about them [uglybunti] but sure they could fit that mission.

Right now there are no plans to change the good spellbook. We decided that it fits better this way, though maybe there could be a combined one for the final mission.

Small Bugs and difficulty adjustments will be done in future patches, so it's great to get such feedback.

Watcher

• Thain des Auenlandes
Re: On the remaster of the BfME 2 Campaigns
« Antwort #2 am: 27. Nov 2022, 07:05 »
Alright, cool  :)
"The pool is up to the west-gate..."