27. Apr 2024, 17:47 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: Heroes - how powerful should they be?  (Gelesen 25749 mal)

The_Necromancer0

• Edain Team
  • Beschützer des verbotenen Weihers
  • There is evil there that does not sleep
Re: Heroes - how powerful should they be?
« Antwort #30 am: 12. Okt 2015, 10:54 »
I play mordor I really like the heroes. I find them well balanced between the hero slayers, the unit supporters, the mass slayers. However Mordor doesn't have a good sout hero (or is that gorbag/shagart ?) I'm just sad that so many of the heroes have mostly single units or supporting powers. But I guess that's compensated with Sauron
Come chat Edain on Discord: https://discord.gg/CMhkeb8
Questions on the Mod? Visit the Official Wiki: http://edain.wikia.com/

Odysseus

• Galadhrim
« Antwort #31 am: 12. Okt 2015, 12:58 »
Gorbag/Shagrat is/are yes. The cheapest recruitable heroes are always the scout heroes. That said, the term scouting can always be taken out of context and done by heavier and quicker units. Generally speaking, Scout heroes are quite useful and I personally enjoy using them. Once they level, and they do so quite quickly, they have some great abilities.
“For so sworn good or evil an oath may not be broken and it shall pursue oathkeeper and oathbreaker to the world's end.”

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #32 am: 13. Okt 2015, 00:23 »

Thank you for your exhaustive feedback and explanations  :)
I will just 'briefly' reply about a couple of things concerning the specific heroes mentioned in your post (always opinions of mine).

1. Boromir is indeed a Tank, and arguably has, as you rightly wrote, very useful abilities; not to mention that he is also a Ring Hero.

2. The Oathbreakers that Aragorn temporarily summons are exactly meant to trap an enemy hero inside this deadly circle, and ease, thus, Aragorn's duty as a Hero Killer.
If you meant that you want the previous/vanilla Oathbreakers summoning to be implemented again, you should consider that it wouldn't be suitable and very fair for him, as he is definitely not a Mass Slayer in the Edain Mod 4.0.

3. As I and others already stated before in other posts of other topics, Gandalf's abilities are an iconic Memory and testament of the past BFME games, where he was arguably the most recognisable and unique hero; it's very unlikely, thus, that they will be changed.
Also, the Keeper of Narya, in the Eadin Mod 4.0, is Círdan  :)

4. The Mouth of Sauron, as you wrote, is not a common Human.
He might easily be a powerful and dreadful Sorcerer, who, as any Servant of Sauron during the War of the Ring, sees his powers generally enhanced by the growing and stronger Influence of the Dark Lord.
Furthermore, I read that the Mouth of Sauron was probably endowed by his Master with one of the lost Seven Rings of the Dwarves (but, it might be just pure speculation).

5. This is what I had previously written in a Saruman-centred topic here on MU; I explained why, in my opinion, the Nature of the Magic of Saruman is necessarily different from Gandalf's, and why he thus can't be as 'direct' and 'dynamic' as the Grey Wizard.
Saruman (again you already wrote it) is the personification of Isengard, and has permeated it with his powers.
Gandalf has no stable dwelling or shelter, and his 'dynamic' Nature often leads him to confront different and more 'direct' challenges  :)

6. Galadriel is not a Tank nor a Mass Slayer or Hero Killer.
And, her powers are rightly and smartly focused on her new and more suitable role as a Hero Supporter and Building Destroyer (something that was not so clear in the Edain Mod 3.8.1).
If she really needs any new tool to defend herself better from direct attacks, I think that other solutions can be found, that don't radically change her role, powers or concept itself.
I thought about something, but, this is not the appropriate place to reveal my secret plans for her...  :P

Also, I have to say that I'm really glad that Galadriel will now personally hand her Gifts to the heroes (as she truly does in the lore), since it clearly marks her importance in her faction and superior status among the other heroes, and rightly defines her role as a Hero Supporter (not to mention that this is probably one of the most lore accurate powers in the whole game)  8-)
« Letzte Änderung: 13. Okt 2015, 00:29 von DieWalküre »

Gandalf The Gray

• Balins Schriftführer
  • you shall not pass
« Antwort #33 am: 13. Okt 2015, 10:28 »
i know gandalf the gray faces more direct challenges but still saruman wins over him

and also i know i said it for too maaaany times and im probably annoying by now sorry for this but i think gandalf the gray and gandalf the white should not have the same powers like the light of istari. the word of power can have other visual effects and he can say "YOU SHALL NOT PASS"    i think that will be awesome 

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #34 am: 13. Okt 2015, 12:16 »
i know gandalf the gray faces more direct challenges but still saruman wins over him

and also i know i said it for too maaaany times and im probably annoying by now sorry for this but i think gandalf the gray and gandalf the white should not have the same powers like the light of istari. the word of power can have other visual effects and he can say "YOU SHALL NOT PASS"    i think that will be awesome

No, you are not annoying at all, but, I definitely answered you exhaustively many times, and, most importantly, there has already been before other clear statements of other users or of the Edain Team itself  :)

http://en.modding-union.com/index.php/topic,31723.msg410151.html#msg410151

http://en.modding-union.com/index.php/topic,31723.msg410504.html#msg410504

Gandalf The Gray

• Balins Schriftführer
  • you shall not pass
« Antwort #35 am: 13. Okt 2015, 12:44 »
well i changed my thoughts i dont want to change the word of power but maybe the team could change the blast you know a cosmetic change same skill different visuals only when he is gray

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #36 am: 14. Okt 2015, 00:14 »
well i changed my thoughts i dont want to change the word of power but maybe the team could change the blast you know a cosmetic change same skill different visuals only when he is gray

I think that any possible and radical change of Gandalf (Gondor/War of the Ring concept) is out of discussion (for now, at least), as you could certainly notice from numerous statements from the Edain Team about this matter.
That's why I also decided to close a topic involving Gandalf in this same General Suggestions Section.

Elite KryPtik

• Gardist von Meduseld
  • Arise! Arise, Writers of KryPtik!
« Antwort #37 am: 14. Okt 2015, 03:20 »
I haven't read any of the earlier posts, because there are just too freaking many of them [uglybunti] so if any of these points have already been mentioned I apologize. Grab a drink and some popcorn, this is going to be a long post :D

In general: In my view, all heroes are too weak in late game. Even if you have them in the middle of your army, their weak health and armor values mean that they end up dead much faster than your main army of troops. I think a balance should be found, between their health values originally and in the recent update that heavily nerfed them. I also don't understand why all heroes that can switch weapons, regardless of faction, deal half damage at range than they do in melee. Especially for Lothlorien, literally the archer faction, yet their weapon switch heroes are better in melee than at range.

Additionally in regards to their cost, why does a level 1 hero cost the same to revive as a level 10 hero? In the vanilla game, you pay a base cost to recruit a hero. Now, if that hero dies immediately at level 1, he is very cheap to revive, much cheaper then the initial recruitment cost. However, once a hero reaches level 10, it actually costs more to revive them than it did to recruit them. I really like this system, and I don't understand why, or agree with, how it was changed to a single cost system.

Gondor: I think Beregonds weapon switch is utterly useless, due to his extremely low bow damage, same goes for Faramir. I don't really have a problem with any hero abilities, although I would say that Word of Power should definitely be made stronger. It is EXTREMELY difficult to get Gandalf to level 10, for multiple reasons: He takes a lot of experience to level up, dies very easily to enemy heroes, and finally against human opponents they almost always target him first. He's extremely easy to target because he sticks out like a sore thumb in the midst of your grey units, once he has Gandalf the White.

I would say that a middle ground should be found, where Word of Power can kill all starter units(gondor soldiers, peasants, basic orcs, etc) while dealing heavy damage to any late game units(tower guards, rohirrim of the eastfold, orcs from minas morgul, etc) In terms of Ring Heros, Boromirs level 10 summon never works anymore, even if you have no command points at all he cannot summon the Guards of the White City. For Gandalf the Challenge Master, I think he dies incredibly easily, although he does pack a serious punch to make up for the lack of health. Still, I would definitely like to see his armor and health boosted as little bit, and also his Light Words of Power should be at least twice as strong as a normal Word of Power. No input on Gandalf the Corrupted, I never use him, he sucks in my view.

Rohan: Théoden is my favorite hero in the mod, Glorious Charge is the best ability ever. I do have a problem though, any ability that freezes units essentially negates this ability. So for Mordor, you can summon Shelob and freeze half the army of Rohirrim mid-charge, neutralizing most of the potency. I would like to see cavalry made immune to the effects of paralyzation while under the effect of Glorious Charge.
The only hero I have a serious problem with is Eomer. He is pathetically, terribly weak for a mass slayer hero. His Memorial ability is awful for a level 7 ability, a fixed 20% damage leadership? Seriously? His level 10 is also very awful, it doesn't deal enough damage to kill anything by the time he gets it, because all units will have Heavy Armor by that time. Finally, his Spear Throw is basically useless, all it can kill are orcs. My suggestions for him would be to have his spear throw level up with him, becoming stronger incrementally every 3 levels or so, replace his Memorial ability completely, it really sucks, and finally his level 10 should be made much stronger than it currently is. 1 quick suggestion for Eowyn as well, it would be great to give her knockback resistance while she's under the effect of Shield Maiden.

For Ring Heroes, I really don't see any point in giving the Ring to Corrupted Théoden, all his abilities are basically the same, just a little bit stronger. I think that Grima with the Ring needs an overhaul, that changes Rohan to a corrupted version of its former self, with permanent Traitors, Traitor Archers, Traitor Cavalry, the whole deal. This would make a unique concept, making Rohans early game incredibly powerful if you gave Grima the Ring, but because Traitors cannot level up or receive upgrades, it would mean that late game they would be terrible. I also think that Glorious Theodens current tradeoffs for Ring abilities idea is really unfair. Look at all the other Ring heroes, they get those abilities for free with no penalties, so why can't Théoden have a new roster of abilities in addition to the tradeoff options? That would make him a lot better and fairer, because right now there is no question that Rohan has the weakest Ring Heroes, weakest heroes overall, and finally are the weakest faction in late game.

Mordor: I can't really think of any problems in terms of being weak, besides the general issue of hero weakness in late game. I think I would say that all the Nazgul getting all of their different Morgul Blades is a little bit overpowered. I would recommend changing it so that a unit under the effect of Morgul Blade cannot be hit by another Morgul Blade. If all the Nazgul use their blades, they can kill any enemy hero in the game, except units immune to it like Sauron and Mollok. Also, Mollok always seems to die extremely easily, probably because of how easy it is to focus him down, due to his size. Nothing needs to be said about Ring Hero, Sauron is just as OP as he should be.

Isengard: Oh My God, these heroes are terrible. Sharku is utterly useless, and Warg Riders are very weak too, but that's a separate issue. Lurtz and Ugluk are the only decent heroes you can recruit, and are usually the last to die. Grima has some great abilities, but he dies so easy its laughable. Saruman dies incredibly easy, sticks out like a sore thumb for easy targeting, and his level 10 ability is garbage. Wulfgar is currently bad, but he'll be fixed when the beta comes out. Finally, Bill Ferny is OP in early game, and garbage in late game. All the other factions can get something to make their scout heroes remain relevant late game(Merry/Pippin get an upgrade, Bilbo gets a Mithril Shirt, Shagrat/Gorbag get a strong summon at level 10, Rumil/Orophin get an armor upgrade), but Isengard does not get anything of the sort, making Bill the weakest scout hero in the game overall.

Conversely, either of Sarumans Ring Hero forms are incredibly overpowered. The ability to permanently convert enemy armies combined with the clumping issues you mentioned means that you can completely prevent any kind of counterattack to regain the Ring. Additionally, for the Cursed specifically, if you put him in a Wizards Tower and then use his level 10 that shoots Fireballs, it will not stop firing until every enemy you initially targeted has died. It doesn't matter how many shots it takes, or how far away the enemy army runs. One time, I was fighting a friend, as Gondor, and he used this ability. So I retreated to my base, all the way on the other side of the map, getting shot the whole way. He killed an entire 1800 CP army of Tower Guards, Citadel Guards, Rangers and all Gondor heroes with a single ability. And you thought Word of Power was bad :P

Iron Hills: Love the hero roster here. Drar seems to be really weak, I think he could use a fire rate and damage buff. Dains Vendetta ability is OP in my view, because it can be combined with his level 1 Baruk Khazad, making your dwarves deal blasphemous levels of damage.

Erebor: I don't play very often as this faction, but I really like the heroes overall. Gimli's ability to have enemies focus only on him doesn't seem to work, Gloins Oil Spill is incredibly deadly against Mordor and Rohan if used correctly, perhaps too deadly, and finally I can never get Dains level 10 invincibility near structures to work. I think the ability needs some tweaking. The Inherited Black Arrow is too complex an ability, and is actually quite bad for a level 10. Having to wait 3 minutes to use an ability that does mediocre damage is just stupid. It should be hugely buffed, so that if you wait for a full 3 minutes you can pretty much 1 shot any hero in the game, excluding Ring Heroes.

Ered Luin: Ah, Ered Luin. The definition of OP heroes :) All of their abilities are great, all of their health values and damage are great, especially once you have Mithril. With Fili and Kili, their level 10 abilities are still buggy, I've never been able to get them to work, please take a second look at them. Balins Expedition is extremely OP, teleporting to a precise point anywhere on the map instantaneously is too strong. It should have a limited effective distance, or be changed entirely to something different. His Runes also take too long to cool down in my opinion, at best you can maybe give 2 runes to each hero per game, if its an extremely long game.
Bard seems to be very weak, and his level 10 ability, while cool, is very buggy. Its extremely hard to see the arrow when it lands, and it doesn't do a whole lot of damage to heroes, and lets face it, that's what people are going to use it on.

I don't like Bofur's Hurl Pickaxe, for the same reason, its really hard to see and annoying to pick back up. I liked it much better when he just hit enemies away, like Gloins old Slam ability from vanilla. I have yet to see Chain Quake actually work as its described and spread to other structures, all I've seen it do is continuous damage to the targeted structure. Also, the heal rate of Bombur is really strong, you can heal all of your heroes from near death to full health in about 15 seconds, while in the middle of combat. For Dwalin, Earth Hammer is really terrible compared to his level 10 rage ability, it deals practically no damage at all. Same goes for switching between his hammer and 2 axes, the axes are just better, and deal more damage faster. Finally, Durin the Deathless. I think Word of Silence is overpowered, because of the level-up. I would also really like to see the ability to give him a Mithril vest added, its ridiculous that the forefather of the Dwarves cannot be equipped with their best armor. He would have the best of the best of the best, the Dwarves revere him as a God and would all fight to the death to protect him.

Well, that's my speal. My fingers hurt :(
« Letzte Änderung: 14. Okt 2015, 03:42 von Elite KryPtik »
Arise! Arise, Riders of Theoden! Fell deeds awake: fire and slaughter! Spear shall be shaken! Shield shall be splintered! A sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride, ride to ruin, and the worlds ending! FORTH EORLINGAS!

Gandalf The Gray

• Balins Schriftführer
  • you shall not pass
« Antwort #38 am: 14. Okt 2015, 13:00 »
agree to all mate

Gnomi

• Administrator
  • Bewahrer des roten Buches
« Antwort #39 am: 14. Okt 2015, 13:29 »
Just a few small things about some of the things which were named:
(not concerning the overall power-level of all heroes, but some of our designs)

Zitat
I also don't understand why all heroes that can switch weapons, regardless of faction, deal half damage at range than they do in melee.

That's quite easy - why should they deal more damage with a bow? Why would you ever use the melee mode, when you can deal the same damage from range?
The melee damage is always higher, because it would be useless otherwise.
If you use your bow, the hero deals less damage, but therefore is better protected (and can level up more easy, as you don't have to retreat with him so soon). If you use your melee attacks, you deal more damage with your hero, but you also have to get in melee range therefore it's more risky. So you have to decide:

- hero is safe, but deals less damage
 - hero is in danger, but deals more damage

If the heroes wouldn't have this boost in power in melee-mode then it would be:
 - hero is safe, but deals full damage
 - hero is in danger and deals full damage

Now let's think about it... why should you use the sword? :P

Zitat
Additionally in regards to their cost, why does a level 1 hero cost the same to revive as a level 10 hero?
Mostly technical reasons. We discussed that and sadly it isn't so easy to implement that.^^

Gandalf The Gray

• Balins Schriftführer
  • you shall not pass
« Antwort #40 am: 14. Okt 2015, 13:47 »
well the bow needs a boost i think because you need 4 shots to kill an orc ???? an orc rly

Skeeverboy

• Orkjäger vom Amon Hen
  • Bankai Senbonzakura Kageyoshi
« Antwort #41 am: 14. Okt 2015, 14:06 »
A Hero with bow can kill a orc with one shot, not with 4.

Gandalf The Gray

• Balins Schriftführer
  • you shall not pass
« Antwort #42 am: 14. Okt 2015, 14:12 »
beregond cant just played with him

Skeeverboy

• Orkjäger vom Amon Hen
  • Bankai Senbonzakura Kageyoshi
« Antwort #43 am: 14. Okt 2015, 14:21 »
His bow has a special effect. It lowers the armour of the Unit/Hero for 5 sek. 33%.

Elite KryPtik

• Gardist von Meduseld
  • Arise! Arise, Writers of KryPtik!
« Antwort #44 am: 14. Okt 2015, 16:19 »
I can understand your reasoning here, but it really does not make any sense that some heroes can gain better damage in melee. Examples include Faramir, Legolas, Haldir. For certain heroes who are iconic for using the bow, you should change it so that they are stronger damage at range, but higher armor in melee combat, so that way it remains balanced. Also I can assure you, units that remain on their bow don't level up, the only way to level up a hero reasonably fast is to put them in the middle of your main army in melee mode, sitting back doesn't work. This is especially true for Lurtz in Isengard.
Arise! Arise, Riders of Theoden! Fell deeds awake: fire and slaughter! Spear shall be shaken! Shield shall be splintered! A sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride, ride to ruin, and the worlds ending! FORTH EORLINGAS!