3. Mai 2024, 14:09 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: wall usage  (Gelesen 1685 mal)

deathbirdw

• Hobbit
wall usage
« am: 9. Sep 2015, 17:35 »
hey posted this on moddb but i think it got burried really quickly so ill post it here aswell. ive got some ideas to try to make walls more relevant (idk if people use them cause im not a big mp guy but i dnt anyway)

gondor: u could give beregond(think thts it) an ability called 'aim for the trolls!' (think its gandalf who says it in the film but makes more sense cause he is defensive) which could temporarily or permanently depending on balance allow archers to deal high damage to siege weapons and possibly longer range

rohan: the summon ability where u get elves could be permanent but u have to do it on a wall and they are stationary but u can switch between there weapons, this also gives rohan good archers but only for defense like in the film.

dwarves: the raven towers (dont know if they already do cause i dont use them) should increase attack range and power so tht the standard fire archer could take out catapults and such BUT then u could also make it that the enemy if on the wall could use the leadership too.

and as an added note i think imladris and angmar are pretty sorted if they have the roofs tht protect against enemy fire and the 2 build plots beside gate but if that isnt enough you should make the build plots part of the section of wall around the gate (like the laketown outpost is all one building) so the opposition would have to take longer bombarding it before they could assault the gate without being harassed by the  defenses which means the defender has more time to build troops

thought they were good ideas idk

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
Re: wall usage
« Antwort #1 am: 10. Sep 2015, 00:34 »
rohan: the summon ability where u get elves could be permanent but u have to do it on a wall and they are stationary but u can switch between there weapons, this also gives rohan good archers but only for defense like in the film.

I generally and personally, concerning your whole proposal, don't have any problem, now, with the actual condition of Walls, or defensive structures/upgrades in general  :)

Anyway, I would like to focus on the one related to Rohan.
I have already written a couple of comments on ModDB about the Elves of Lothlórien and their implementation in Rohan.
I will copy one of those two comments.

Zitat
I too am totally against the idea of Lothlórien being included in Rohan via other different ways than the current spell.

In the War of the Ring's timeline these two realms were completely isolated from each other, as Lothlórien was completely isolated from all the other realms of Middle Earth (even from Mirkwood) but Rivendell.
The magical power and nature of the Golden Wood were unknown and mysterious for most of the People of the World (included many Woodland Elves of Mirkwood), and thus often feared because not completely understandable.
Furthermore, before the arrival of Gandalf and the consequent 'rebirth' of Théoden, it is inferred, in the books, that the relationship between the two realms were quite unfriendly.
Gríma, under the obvious influence of Saruman, says that Galadriel is a dangerous and deceiving Sorceress of the Golden Wood.

Given these facts, I'm satisfied with the actual spell, completely fashioned on the LOTR trilogy's interpretation, and I think that it's more than enough for Rohan :)
Other forms of implementation would be unnecessary and not lore accurate.

Even as a defensive tool, the permanence of the Elves of Lothlórien in Rohan would be unfair and wrong, I guess.
I accept the spell, since it is inspired by the LOTR trilogy, but I would totally not like them as regular units (or upgrades, in this case), as the Golden Wood and Rohan nearly had any relationship at all during the War of the Ring, and the Elves of that realm were definitely more 'worried' about containing and fighting back the Evil of Dol Guldur  8-)

deathbirdw

• Hobbit
« Antwort #2 am: 10. Sep 2015, 01:20 »
it doesnt need to be permanent just maybe elongate the time they come for. the reason y i like them on the wall is it was how they were shown in the second film, honoring an old tattered alliance when rohan were on their knees, i never liked how u could use the elves offensively because they would never help rohan if it wasnt in dire need   

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #3 am: 10. Sep 2015, 01:57 »
it doesnt need to be permanent just maybe elongate the time they come for. the reason y i like them on the wall is it was how they were shown in the second film, honoring an old tattered alliance when rohan were on their knees, i never liked how u could use the elves offensively because they would never help rohan if it wasnt in dire need

Actually, the Elves of Lothlórien never helped Rohan, at least not directly.
Not even the events of the First Age between the Wood Elves and the ancestors of the People of Rohan, or the Last Alliance (which Haldir generally relates to in the film) and the aid of Galadriel to Eorl could be seen as 'direct' involvements in War; the first two being anachronistic facts concerning Rohan, and the third being the display of power of one single sensational being.

As already and previously written, the arrival of the Galadhrim at the Battle of Helm's Deep is completely fictional; good, but fictional.
That's why, I think, a 'simple' (which is very significant and useful, after all) momentary summoning spell is more than enough.
Otherwise (given also the 'isolation' of the Golden Wood and the nature of its relationships with Rohan) another possible solution would be not lore accurate and incorrect (like the previous implementation of Radagast in Rohan).

P.S. A spell can be used in many ways; and, since we are talking about units, can (should) be used both for attack and defence, on Walls or on the ground.
Modifying a spell just for fitting a certain strategy would be a bit pointless, I guess.