12. Mai 2024, 16:36 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: Angmar Ring Hero  (Gelesen 6858 mal)

The_Necromancer0

• Edain Team
  • Beschützer des verbotenen Weihers
  • There is evil there that does not sleep
Angmar Ring Hero
« am: 12. Dez 2015, 11:57 »
This is just an idea that has gone through my brain and that I just couldn't shake off.

Idea 1
Now, I believe, and I think other people do, that it is logical that the Witch King would bring the Ring back to his master and not take it as his own. There is nothing wrong with having the ring hero being the Witch King but I had an idea. I was thinking that instead the ring would have to be brought back to the castle (like in vanilla) as a symbol from bringing it back to Sauron. In return this would boost all heroes, giving them new/reinforced abilities If I remember correctly there was a Tier 4 power like that in 3.8.1 where you would pick a fortress to become the "true" fortress of angmar. The boost would have to be just right so that it would compensate for the fact that you don't have to bring the ring to the front but yet still receive it's bonus.

If this is not possible due to game engine, I suggest that instead the ring be given to the Witch King but that he still technically brings it back to his master (omg that just gave me another idea) and then refer to the paragraph above.

Idea 2
Referring to the lore I exposed in Idea 1 and the last paragraph. I was thinking that the ring hero could also use the system of the veteran of Khazad-dûm. Once the ring given to the WK he set on a path to give it back to his master (on his fell beast?), after X minutes he returns with his full strength (optional: and a mighty host of Mordor). The ring would still drop from WK if he is killed to make it simpler but it would technically be in the hands of Sauron. This would just lead to WK being the ring hero but be more lore accurate and more unique (ring hero wize, cause the system is already in place for dwarves units).

Anyways those are two ideas that I have for the Angmar Ring Hero, might be impossible, migth be that the team has a better idea. I'm just putting it here cause it's been spinning in my head for a week. If people like that idea we can dvelop together the various effects of both ideas. I just hope that either one of those ideas is possible.

Can't wait to hear from you guys!!  xD
Come chat Edain on Discord: https://discord.gg/CMhkeb8
Questions on the Mod? Visit the Official Wiki: http://edain.wikia.com/

™Æ¿® Aragorn £ ‡™

• Gastwirt zu Bree
  • I can do quite a bit of coding myself :P
Re: Angmar Ring Hero
« Antwort #1 am: 12. Dez 2015, 12:13 »
I like these ideas :D.
_____     
  -----
I just thought of another one :P. (a 3rd idea )                                                                                                               
  ----
 _____
Maybe if the Witchking gives the ring to Sauron, something similar to the southern fiefdoms' system happens?

Maybe since Sauron is so much more powerful now, every 1-3 minutes he sends 2 battalions of orc warriors, and a troll that has all its upgrades                                                          (though, you still need buy its weapon)
To aid Angmar in their conquests.

This is to show Sauron trying to speed up the downfall of arnor since he's much more powerful (Or rohan,gondor any good factions :P.                                                             
Sup :P

The_Necromancer0

• Edain Team
« Antwort #2 am: 12. Dez 2015, 13:53 »
In this case it would have to be a lot of Orcs or elite units in general like cirith ungol orcs, since they cost no command points and are pretty strong. It's a great idea but my opinion is that it defeats the purpose of having a Ring Hero since it is nothing more then units, but good idea nonehteless.

DrHouse93

• Elronds Berater
« Antwort #3 am: 13. Dez 2015, 03:09 »
I actually like the first idea better. It doesn't make sense for me that even if the Witch-king has brought the Ring to his master, when killed he would drop it. How many One Rings do exist? xD
On the other hand, the first idea is more appropriate to me, because a skilled general as the Witch-king would not risk the defeat at any cost, even if it is the One Ring. In his might and arrogance he would simply keep it safe in the fortress until his enemies are destroyed, and of course receiving benefits from his master through the Ring (kinda an help from the distance xD), then he can return the Ring to his master and estabilish his reign of terror
So, I definitely prefer the first idea^^

Garlodur

• Gastwirt zu Bree
  • In Moria, in Khazad-Dûm
« Antwort #4 am: 14. Dez 2015, 01:17 »
I also had the feeling that the Witch-King wielding the Ring is not very logical as the Nazgul are subjected to Sauron through each of the Nine Rings that were forged for Men.
In this line of thought none of the Nazgul could possibly think of using the Ring for himself.

Therefore, I like the first idea better, although it plays with the game element of the ring remaining inside a possibly heavily fortified camp/fortress. This is unfair in comparison to other factions.
A way to solve this would indeed giving the One Ring to the Witch-King, after which he will fulfill a carrier role. After all, would the Witch-King part with the Ring once he holds it? Would he flee the land to deliver it to Sauron, with the high possibility of Angmar falling (prematurely) to the might of the descendants of Númenor?
No.

The Witch-King would carry the Ring not as being its master but much more like Frodo (and Sam briefly) held it. Frodo was able to dominate Gollum because he wielded the Ring, and Sam felt his own power grow when entering the Cirith Ungol tower.

Keeping this difference in mind between carrying and wielding the Ring, I would propose that the Witch-King uses the Ring temporarily to reach victory faster.
In-game he gets a second palantír that contains certain 'leaderschip' abilities or buffs towards particular units. This would be comparable to the types of leaderships Imrahil or Araphant has.
One buff would concern all friendly heroes on the map, one all elite units (Men of Carn Dûm), one all standard units (orcs, thralls and hillmen), and one all buildings and siege machines (invulnerability because frozen, increased building speed, decreased building costs).

I haven't yet thought about the cost of these abilities. It would be too easy to decrease the Witch-King's damage and armour because it cannot be explained by canon-lore. However, I do feel that he should in some way become restless over time because he feels that he's withholding the Ring from its true master.

What do you guys think about this?
« Letzte Änderung: 18. Feb 2016, 22:31 von Garlodur »

The_Necromancer0

• Edain Team
« Antwort #5 am: 14. Dez 2015, 05:05 »
I really like this, it is an actually lore accurate and balanced take on the ring-hero concept. I would like that add that since he "carries it" his ability get a slight boost (similar to might of the silver one) his abilities becoming more powerful/recharging faster/changing effect. This could also satisfy the need for a new hero because let's admit it, we still want to give him the ring and be like: "awww yisss, wonder what this ability does." Once the WK has be revealed to us we can actually start working on the detail but so far I really like the idea. Well done on spotting the difference between wielding the ring and carrying it.

Spacetyrant93

• Wanderer des Alten Waldes
« Antwort #6 am: 17. Dez 2015, 14:13 »
I approve of idea #1 and Garlodur's interpretation. This really makes sense and seems according to lore, as the Witch-King would indeed be more of a carrier of the Ring rather than dare to use it, as I don't think Sauron would take it well.
As for the abilities, I agree on the leadership bonus, the frozen buildings and eventual unit buffs, everything goes according to characters and lore. I do hope Edain considers this.

CragLord

• Gast
« Antwort #7 am: 9. Jan 2016, 20:18 »
I just read some of moddb stuff, and I noticed that  Mornamarth could be also good choice for ring hero.
ET created background story for Mornamarth, and he has that lust of power, so WK was careful of him (WK gave him limited power becuse of he craved for power). Maybe ring sistem could be used somehow on Mornamarth as hero who crave for power?
I think that his personality from that invented background story also fits in this, simply he is eager to gain more and more power.

Regard,
CragLord

The_Necromancer0

• Edain Team
« Antwort #8 am: 9. Jan 2016, 22:17 »
Following your train of thought, Mornamarth would betray the witch king and cease the ring for himself? Uhmm... that sounds pretty cools and pretty original not to have the strongest/most iconic hero of the faction as ring hero.

Couple thoughts on this:
-adding to the lore maybe Mornamarth would have to pick the ring unlike other heroes that have to have it brought to them, since it is most logical that other troops would bring it to the WK
-what happens to the witch king? does he become a bound lesser form of himself? does he die? does he become in exile? does he go back to his master with the plan to return with a mighty host to kill Mornamarth?
-how does that affect Mornamarth, will it end up destroying him like the Boromir? what effect does it have on its abilities, boosts them or changes them completely?
-and finally: why not both? (like gondor)

Gimleux

• Bilbos Festgast
« Antwort #9 am: 9. Jan 2016, 22:40 »

-adding to the lore maybe Mornamarth would have to pick the ring unlike other heroes that have to have it brought to them, since it is most logical that other troops would bring it to the WK

How about if any of Mornamarths Units (Dark Dunedain(?)) pick up the ring they can bring it to Mornamarth. It would be a bit easier than if Mornamarth is the only person who is able to pick it up if you wanna have ring-Mornamarth. And it would be lore-friendly.

Greetings,
Gimleux

CragLord

• Gast
« Antwort #10 am: 9. Jan 2016, 22:46 »

Yes, I agree with you, there is a lot of possibilites.
My simple thought require complete concept, sadly, I am out of time to develop it.
I just wanted to  point on possibility of using this hero also in ring function.
I think if he gets ring, he will become more powerful then WK and replace his as ruler of the Angmar. Jump from Steward title to the title of Black/Fallen Dunedain's King. :) Something like that.
Also we could make him similar to Boromir, to be temporary there, and when he dies, he became one of the wights, or wights hero with ring etc.
There are many possibilities as you also cited in your comment. This concept with Mornamarth require some detailed development.
I am also to add him beside WK, so both of them can use ring, something similar to the Gondor faction. :)

Regards,
CragLord
« Letzte Änderung: 9. Jan 2016, 22:52 von CragLord »

Linhir

• Gastwirt zu Bree
  • Inga mektar e Endamar.
« Antwort #11 am: 16. Feb 2016, 03:37 »
Or... ring could be brought to castle and player may recruit some form of sauron, based on the principles like gondor's denethor or arnor's malbeth?

The_Necromancer0

• Edain Team
« Antwort #12 am: 16. Feb 2016, 05:03 »
Or... ring could be brought to castle and player may recruit some form of sauron, based on the principles like gondor's denethor or arnor's malbeth?

I see, that could also be interesting to use Sauron from afar, using mighty abilities of magic and leadership to influence the field. I really see how it would fit in the lore though.

Spacetyrant93

• Wanderer des Alten Waldes
« Antwort #13 am: 16. Feb 2016, 13:58 »
This is a tricky concept.

While I personally don't like the idea of Mornamath as a Ring Hero (betraying the Witch King?! You bastard!!) I agree it would make the machanism, and the history behind it, all the more interesting and complex. I would say make him the alternate Ring Hero of the faction, keeping the Witch king as main, in parallel with Gondor/Arnor having Gandalf/Boromir or Gandalf/Arvendui; a parallel that makes sense given they kinda all derive from Numenor.

I agree that Mornamath should be the one picking it himself, but like all other Men who picked the Ring (Boromir, Arvendui, Theoden) it should boost his stats, but it also has to have an array of negative outcomes. This counts especially for the fact that the Witch King is present as well on the field, and I doubt he would take kindly to this betrayal.
Such a mecanic would literally split the Angmar faction, as Mornamath is the leader of the Black Numenoreans, but the real emperor of the whole realm is the Witch King. I daresay that, if Mornamath takes the Ring, he gains a great boost, but like Storm Queen Galadriel, his actions make him a traitor, so units that are not black numenoreans would not help him. I would even say he needs to have a time limit like Boromir, but this time set by the Witch King cursing him.

Overall, i'd say this is a pretty massive thing to make, perhaps not worth all the work that goes behind it.

On the other hand, a Denethor/Malbeth mechanic for the other Ring Hero, the Witch King, might work. Perhaps, once he gains the Ring, he retires to his fortress's sanctum, bestowing powers and terrible magics on the battlefield.

If you think about it, except for the time Glorfindel and Earnur faced him, it's not like the Witch King actually took to the battlefield that often, more dwelling in his fortress and working his sorcery. Granted, Sauron did that far more, but meh...
From the Fortress, he could cast the infamous Everlasting Winter, send out foul spirits to infest a set area of the map (like he did with Barrow Wights), put his blessing on heroes (the old sanctuary of the Witch King power) and even challenge enemy heroes, tricking them to come to him alone (as he did with Earnur, even if that was in Minas Morgul)
This would kinda be a loss, as I love the Witch King to get to the battlefield and make things personal, but nonetheless it's an alternative.
These are just my humble thoughts, dunno what the team has planned, but am looking forward to it, as always! [uglybunti]
« Letzte Änderung: 16. Feb 2016, 14:03 von Spacetyrant93 »

Melkor Bauglir

• Held von Helms Klamm
« Antwort #14 am: 16. Feb 2016, 15:24 »
I actually prefer those choices a lot more for the good guys. The main reason is that there exists a big amout of force and direct ruling for the evil factions. Therefore they tend to have a distinct leader or at least someone truly superior to the others in charge (let's call him Smaug). For Angmar it's kind of the same: If I play as the Iron Crown and get my hands at the One Ring, I will certainly prefer to curse the game with eternal winter instead of giving it to "regular human general No. 3". :P
For the good factions this topic is entirely different (exept perhaps for Lothlorien), because there are multiple heroes who could all act as a ringbearer simply from their lore perspective. (One could even argue there are some more people who could also use the One Ring.) To sum up, I don't see how Angmar needs a new system or an enhanced system. Giving the Ring to the Witchking is interesting enough as it is in my humble opinion.

Greetings
Melkor Bauglir