7. Mai 2024, 20:48 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: Official Edain Mod Online  (Gelesen 4786 mal)

Chiska

• Wanderer des Alten Waldes
  • To err is human, to forgive divine
Official Edain Mod Online
« am: 30. Mai 2016, 19:30 »
Hey guys

I was surfing the web the other day checking for anything new and interesting related to lotr when I stumbled upon this page:    https://t3aonline.net/

Now for those of you who are too lazy to actually check the link- that was The 3rd Age Online.
A custom bfme 2 online server which is directly accessible through bfme 2's in game online option (not available for rotwk, unfortunately) without the use of any 3rd party programs such as Tunngle or GameRanger.

The moment I saw that I thought "Edain Mod".

The members of the Edain Team are frieking coding geniusses and no mountain is too high to climb for them. I know you guys are quite occupied with finishing the factions and what not.
But as a faar future idea when Edain Mod is near 100% completion, I really think you guys should consider this.
I just think to give players the ability to play through the actual game and not through laggy and dodgy 3rd parties would make it more official and unique to the Edain Mod and then maybe you could add ladders and ranking for players to achieve which would totally bolster the community numbers to an even greater number than it currently is (I didn't think it was possible too) and make it more dynamic and interactive. You could even add like online clans/groups for people to join where we could play more organised tourneys what not. Overall it would just make playing Edain Mod online so much cooler!!

Now I do realise there are a few ugly pre-requisites, such as the amount of coding and work that would be needed to complete this task but as I've said the Edain Team is focused, determined, reliable and unimaginably smart. Of course this is a goal for like 2024 or something, but keep it in mind.
The other major problem about this would be the fees. Yeaaah we all know the Edain Team is the exact opposite of greedy bastards and refuse to take money under any circumstances. Also this server would most likely cost a few bucks and nobody expects the Edain Team to pay it (they've given us more than enough already).

But if you think about it a moment, I would gladly pay money to be able to play Edain Online under these type of professional conditions and I'm quite certain many other fans of this mod would share my perspective. We have a pretty large community and if every player donates like 2$ I can bet you that we'll be able to afford a server.

Now Edain Team, before you start hitting me with "We do this as a hobby and not for money," or "The Edain Mod is a non-profit based mod solely for the entertainment of others,"
I'd like to point out that these donations would all be deposited into setting up this server. So technically speaking, we will be paying for everything on our own and for our own entertainment. Of course no player will be forced to pay 2$ to play online, but those with generous hearts and a true love for this mod and its creators would gladly pay for such an opportunity.
The Edain Mod would merely be buying the server and running it on our behalf with our money for our own entertainment.

But of course, this was just a wild suggestion. If its not possible thats ok well keep on playing on GR and Tunngle because we cant ask any more from these dedicated team members.

Long live Edain!!!

Arathorn

• Elbischer Pilger
Re: Official Edain Mod Online
« Antwort #1 am: 30. Mai 2016, 21:28 »
Hello, the page you've linked is already known. The technique used for this is code injection, but the edain team didn't want to use a similiar technique in their mod due to potencial legal issues that could occur.

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #2 am: 30. Mai 2016, 21:31 »
But if you think about it a moment, I would gladly pay money to be able to play Edain Online under these type of professional conditions and I'm quite certain many other fans of this mod would share my perspective. We have a pretty large community and if every player donates like 2$ I can bet you that we'll be able to afford a server.

Now Edain Team, before you start hitting me with "We do this as a hobby and not for money," or "The Edain Mod is a non-profit based mod solely for the entertainment of others,"
I'd like to point out that these donations would all be deposited into setting up this server. So technically speaking, we will be paying for everything on our own and for our own entertainment. Of course no player will be forced to pay 2$ to play online, but those with generous hearts and a true love for this mod and its creators would gladly pay for such an opportunity.

No one will ever 'hit' you with such sentences, but it's also important bearing in mind that the 'money issue' concerning the Edain Mod has already been brought out many times and the Edain Team has consequently answered each time with a very clear response.

Apart from the other aspects of your proposal, which definitely deserve direct answers from the developers, I think I can refer to another post of mine in which I recently explained why donations are something not contemplated. Also, I would add, I'm not so sure whether there could be legal issues in receiving money (even if donated spontaneously) and copyright.

Chiska

• Wanderer des Alten Waldes
  • To err is human, to forgive divine
« Antwort #3 am: 31. Mai 2016, 03:01 »
Hello, the page you've linked is already known. The technique used for this is code injection, but the edain team didn't want to use a similiar technique in their mod due to potencial legal issues that could occur.

Ahh I see. Well what a pity, you just can't argue with legal issues I guess.
Then Tunngle and Gameranger it is.

No one will ever 'hit' you with such sentences, but it's also important bearing in mind that the 'money issue' concerning the Edain Mod has already been brought out many times and the Edain Team has consequently answered each time with a very clear response.

Apart from the other aspects of your proposal, which definitely deserve direct answers from the developers, I think I can refer to another post of mine in which I recently explained why donations are something not contemplated. Also, I would add, I'm not so sure whether there could be legal issues in receiving money (even if donated spontaneously) and copyright.

Belive me, walk, I've been 'hit' with them before : P .

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #4 am: 31. Mai 2016, 12:32 »
Belive me, walk, I've been 'hit' with them before : P .

Don't worry, you are more than safe in my presence. I will never let anyone harm our precious Chiska  8-)

Regarding the proposal, I think it had better be closed for now. If there are news or official statements from the Edain Team that might open new possibilities, they will obviously be more than free to unlock this thread and make it open again for the Community.

--- LOCKED ---