26. Apr 2024, 22:14 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: Map concept: "The last bridge"  (Gelesen 4020 mal)

Trapper

• Edain Ehrenmember
  • Knappe Rohans
Map concept: "The last bridge"
« am: 12. Jun 2016, 15:51 »

Reference to Tolkiens world:

This once very alive trading route is a great bridge from the second age. It is part of the East-West-Road and lies between the Weathertop (Amon Sûl) and Rivendell. It crosses the river Hoarwell/Mitheithel and made the trading between the allied Hobbits, Dunedain and the Elves possible.

History:

Built by the Dunedain of the North, the bridge was long held as their jewel for the trade with other free folks of Middleearth. There are a lot of sayings that the bridge even dates back to the first age, but there is no proof of that.
As the only crossing of Mitheithel, all of Western Middleearth understood the economically strategic position of the bridge for Arnor. When the wars between Angmar and Arthedain began, the bridge fell into the hands of the Hillmen, who followed the Witchking of Angmar.  The once so lively bridge fell into ruin, which can still be seen today.
In the third age, the bridge lost its function as a trading route, because of the creatures that surrounded the bridge. Especially trolls were feared by commuters and traders, since they were numerous of them in the adjacent trollshaws.
Nevertheless the bridge played an important historical role in the third age.
It was the year 2941 of the third age, when Thorin Oakenshields company lost a pony that fell into the river. Then the settled for the night in the trollshaws, where they met the troll trio: Bert, Bill and Tom.
Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin led by Aragorn were able to cross the bridge safely, after Glorfindel banished the awaiting Nazgul off the bridge.

The history in the chapter is true and only some details were added from my side to make it seem more suspenseful.

About the map:
This is a 1v1 map. It doesn’t contain any special scripts, Easter eggs or secrets (yet), and is especially suited for multiplayer skirmishes. You have fortresses as a starting point, 2 outposts and 10 settlements, which is close to the dimensions of famous 1v1 map like Fords of the Isen, Ironhills, etc.
Its recommended to play this map in medium to high graphics, because then most  of the object and the water will be shown properly. Nevertheless with lowered graphics the map is of course still enjoyable.
If someone knows how to fix some of the graphic mistakes in lowered graphic I appreciate it if you could tell me. Thanks!

Screenshots:

Download link:

My request to you:
Check the map for bugs from end to end, criticize(best, if delivered with a suggestion of improvement), leave your opinion and grade the map according to design, playing experience or whatever factors are important to you in a multiplayer skirmish map.
Thanks!
Please remember, the map is in its beta status!

Tips for installation:

S/O to -DJANGO- for beta testing
S/O to Gnomi, FG15, Mornen and Reshef for the help in the forum
« Letzte Änderung: 13. Jun 2016, 15:25 von Trapper »

The_Necromancer0

• Edain Team
  • Beschützer des verbotenen Weihers
  • There is evil there that does not sleep
Re: Map concept: "The last bridge"
« Antwort #1 am: 12. Jun 2016, 16:57 »
Great map and well explained in addition.
I'd suggest to repackage the map so that the player simply has to drag and drop the folder into his ROTWK file, it think i'd just make it easier overall.
Apart from that I think it's a nice map but I think it shame that there is other entry points but I suppose that it's key in making a competitive map. I'll have a second playthrough I just wanted to give my first impressions.
Keep up the good job :)
Come chat Edain on Discord: https://discord.gg/CMhkeb8
Questions on the Mod? Visit the Official Wiki: http://edain.wikia.com/

Trapper

• Edain Ehrenmember
  • Knappe Rohans
« Antwort #2 am: 13. Jun 2016, 15:27 »
Thanks for the feedback !

Did the repacking. Should be easier now ;)
Let me know about your second impressions

Odysseus

• Galadhrim
« Antwort #3 am: 13. Jun 2016, 16:00 »
Yes, more competitively-oriented 1v1 maps. You can never have enough of those. If this map is well-received, it could be added to the official map pool. Although, I doubt that a bit, since bridge maps are always a little tricky to balance. Who knows, I hope I am mistaken :).
“For so sworn good or evil an oath may not be broken and it shall pursue oathkeeper and oathbreaker to the world's end.”

Trapper

• Edain Ehrenmember
  • Knappe Rohans
« Antwort #4 am: 13. Jun 2016, 16:44 »
Wow it would be an honour if that gets added to the official mappool. :)

If the feedback stays as positive as it is right now, Im definitely going to work on other competitive maps (2v2, 3v3 or 4v4).

About the bridge: It should be balanced quite nicely, since after all the bridge is nothing more than a way to cross the river and it is big enough to fight on it. But I don't really know your criterias for this kind of balancing. ;)

The_Necromancer0

• Edain Team
  • Beschützer des verbotenen Weihers
  • There is evil there that does not sleep
« Antwort #5 am: 14. Jun 2016, 19:38 »
The map is pretty much flawless, well done. Only two things: Angmar tributes have a hard time coming out of the settlements on the islands and maybe add one or two towers on the main bridge.
Come chat Edain on Discord: https://discord.gg/CMhkeb8
Questions on the Mod? Visit the Official Wiki: http://edain.wikia.com/

Trapper

• Edain Ehrenmember
  • Knappe Rohans
« Antwort #6 am: 15. Jun 2016, 11:29 »
Yeah I thought about the problems with the islands,too and at least Cirith Ungol troops get send out towards the bridge so that they dont cause problems.
At the same time the angmar builders get stuck...
Im thinking about maybe enlarging the islands, although Im pretty happy about the dimensions as it is...

Nevertheless thanks for your feedback :)
A few towers on the bridge should turn out fine.
« Letzte Änderung: 15. Jun 2016, 18:29 von Trapper »