[en] The English RPG Forum > RPG Discussions, Feedback and Proposals

Conversations in Doriath: Discussion and Feedback

<< < (2/7) > >>

Walküre:

--- Zitat von: VectorMaximus am 13. Sep 2016, 15:28 ---You know how my heart is tied far more closely to the Feanoreans and Fingolfineans than is perhaps good to play a role in this, being first and foremost concerning the Sindar and House of Finarfin.

--- Ende Zitat ---

Yes, I know that you are deeply into the proud Fëanor, the valiant Fingolfin and their respective Houses. That's why I had opted for Fine. Nevertheless, I would be more than pleased by your participation in the game either way. Just guessing, Celeborn or even Elwë himself might be potential choices, especially with the latter being renowned to be a proud king too; you could also arrange for including a fictional character or a minor character as a messenger of the House of Fëanor (given that they had initially asked for Thingol's alliance, but they were refused every type of friendly co-operation). A minor role would suit well, as it won't require a so active commitment in the game, apart from sporadic appearances. Do as you wish  :)

We will nonetheless have plenty of time for dealing with Fëanor extensively. As a very brief hint, one plan could consist of exploring the life of the Noldor in Aman and the turbulent happenings of the exile, above all the Noldorin council held in Tirion.

--- Zitat von: Fine am 13. Sep 2016, 15:57 ---
In the meantime, I will try and prepare for this ambitious role. You have already given me the perfect starting point for Melian; a conversation with Elwë about matters of importance to their realm as well as the new arrivals drawing near to Doriath.

--- Ende Zitat ---

Great input. The game is exactly supposed to be an opportunity to deal with the ever changing events of Beleriand during most of the War of the Jewels, while remaining safely within the Girdle of Melian. Also, compared to the solemnity of the White Council, it would be interesting to give the narration a more informal tone and to recreate a bit the atmosphere of the everyday life in Doriath.

Fine:
Very good. After the introduction has been posted, I will start off with Melian, if you do not mind. I already have a pretty good idea about what I'm going to write, and look forward to what you have in mind.

I am of course also open to additional participants, sharing your thoughts on what you wrote to VectorMaximus. :)

Walküre:
Starting with Melian is really the best option. Ok, I will open the game as soon as I can do so  :)

Walküre:
I would like to share my thoughts on an interesting topic I often wonder about.

In regards of the First Age and the quests of the Noldor, I assume we will all follow the earliest approach of Tolkien to the matters involved, thus sticking to the actual old and original version of the Silmarillion (the one I always relate to).

In accordance to the lore of the Silmarillion: though the immense sorrow and mourning of the House of Finarfin, their kin in Alqualondë was massacred by Fëanor and, later, by the well-intentioned intervention of the House of Fingolfin, that believed that the craftsman of the Silmarils had been unjustly assaulted. Their horrified reaction shifted quickly to the ambitious goals that the Noldor had set themselves on and to the duty to achieve them. That is, the return of the Silmarils to their legitimate owner, the punishment of Morgoth and the longing for the free vast lands of Middle-earth, wild yet ready to be ruled over by the Eldar coming from the other shores of the Sea.

As far as I remember (and as I also read somewhere else), it is also suggested that the consequent curse of the Valar involved all the exiled equally, leaving in legacy a terrible burden to bear, unless the rebels redeemed and thus deserved piety for all their sins (of which the most impious ones were having dared to accuse the Valar of trying to cage the Noldor in their Blessed Realm, having disobeyed their direct orders and having stained the pure shores of Aman with the blood of the innocent Teleri). Even if the House of Finarfin refused to take part in the Kinslaying and swear over Fëanor's Oath, the hearts of those who opted to abandon the Undying Lands were filled by profound regret yet an eager desire to see with their own eyes the unexplored territories of the mortal world promised to them. Passing the deadly Helcaraxë, which only the Ainur may get through unspoiled, didn't prevent them from eventually landing in Beleriand.

In light of this canonical version, it's also argued that Galadriel never managed to receive forgiveness by the Powers of Arda until her very refusal to succumb to the lure of the One Ring. I don't deem this interpretation accurate though, as I think the ban and the curse of Mandos were altogether lifted after the plea of Eärendil and the end of the War of Wrath, with the exiled being granted the return to Eressëa and then to Valinor itself.

The lore of the History of Middle-earth: this later version of Tolkien changes a lot of things both in purely factual terms and the specific motives underlying each character; particularly, a new story of Galadriel and Celeborn was codified. Tolkien in fact tells that the two had already met in Alqualondë during the Years of the Trees; then, during the betrayal of Fëanor, not only did she refuse any involvement but she also fought directly to defend the people of her mother Eärwen. With the allowance of the Valar, she sailed with Celeborn to Beleriand in a white swan-ship, being staunchly resolute to aid her family and hinder the plans of the House of Fëanor that might have caused terrible atrocities again (as they were completely dominated by greed and revenge).

Now, with all my deep respect for the Professor and his masterpieces, I completely reject the latter version and I would say that the former is definitely more loyal to the pillars of the Silmarillion (though rough and obscure its lore could be). Henceforth, speaking about our RPG games, I would say we had better transpose correctly the fiery characteristic common to all the royal Noldor and their people. In this case, I would like to express Galadriel's sincere regret for what happened, along with showing that the flame of dominion and fight against the Evil (the difference with Fëanor is exactly that she and her brothers convey their energies to the real primary cause of the events that troubled the peace of Arda) is well alive. I still have to figure out the right measure of all of this; that is, the just balance between her two sides (don't forget that she had nonetheless disobeyed the will of the Valar too).

What do you think about this? Do you have any other example to bring, maybe related to other characters? I'm really curious to know other people's opinions  :)

Fine:
Sorry for the late reply. I completely agree with you in that we should remain faithful to the original iteration of Galadriel - defiant of the Valar and desiring to carve out a realm of her own in Middle-earth - instead of the one you mentioned where she does not cross Helcaraxe. So once again, we are in full agreement. :)

Navigation

[0] Themen-Index

[#] Nächste Seite

[*] Vorherige Sete

Zur normalen Ansicht wechseln