24. Mai 2024, 00:33 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: Smaug an the ring  (Gelesen 2529 mal)

rosepe

• Hobbit
Smaug an the ring
« am: 11. Okt 2015, 00:26 »
Hi everybody!!

I don´t know if the rol of Smaug with the one ring has been already defined. I want to suggest an idea I had:
Smaug is the last dragon and uses the power of the one ring to bring the age of dragons back to Middle Earth. When he gets the ring, he can set a new building called Nest of Dragons (in the same way Sauron puts the fortress of the First Age). In this building, you can recruit different types of dragons such as the fire dracos, the mini-drogoths from 3.8.1 (I really loved them) and the ice dragons that Angmar was able to summon in 3.8.1.
When the building is put, the ring is transfered to the building, so the enemy must destroy it to get the ring. As long as the building stays in the map, all dragons get a bonus in speed and atack (including Smaug).
I think this idea fits the idea of what Smaug have done with it, and the system is completely unique.
What do you think?

The_Necromancer0

• Edain Team
  • Beschützer des verbotenen Weihers
  • There is evil there that does not sleep
Re: Smaug an the ring
« Antwort #1 am: 11. Okt 2015, 12:38 »
I like the idea, but sadly I fear it will require too much balancing to implement. Lets look at this step by step.
1. Ring Location
Zitat
  the enemy must destroy it to get the ring
Right off the bat that feels to op. The player gets the benefit of the ring but doesn't take the risk of having to use the hero in battle. The player can just pop the building right behind his base and he's safe. The foe can only get to with a mass rush or by inattention of the player.

2.Effect of building
Zitat
all dragons get a bonus in speed and atack
Why? You could make it a temporary ability but don't just have it like that. I can see something like: if the building is under attack dragons around the nest panic and get a attack boost. But you can't just have a boost for no reason

3.Lore-wise
Zitat
last dragon and uses the power of the one ring to bring the age of dragons back to Middle Earth.
I'm not sure this is lore accurate or possible in respect of the rule set by J.R.R. Tolkien

4.Conflicting quotes
[quotes] system is completely unique. [/quotes] this conflicts with what you said
Zitat
in the same way Sauron puts the fortress of the First Age

I like the idea, I truly do. And it's definitely possible to do. However you need to justify certain things such as why the building provides that stat boost. Also considering that this is for the Goblin faction (i guess? not sure which faction smaug will be part of) you really want to define what role it plays. Best of luck  :)
Come chat Edain on Discord: https://discord.gg/CMhkeb8
Questions on the Mod? Visit the Official Wiki: http://edain.wikia.com/

rosepe

• Hobbit
« Antwort #2 am: 11. Okt 2015, 13:24 »
Well, I thought that the boost is necesary because without it the player could not have any reason to protect the building. Imagine that the player has already recruited a large group of dragons and he cannot recruite any more due to the command points. If there is not a boost, tha player could not have any interest in the building, and that is the reason I thought in a boost.
I know it could be a bit difficult to get the ring back. Maybe that building could be built in a outpost...
An the unique system I was talking about is that none of the other factions has the ring system focused on heroes and in this case it is focused on a building and on units.
Thanks for the answer!

The_Necromancer0

• Edain Team
« Antwort #3 am: 11. Okt 2015, 16:39 »
Good, I like where you're starting to go. Okay so implementing an outpost for the faction that will have Smaug. I like that.
Here's what I'm thinking following your idea. Once Smaug has the ring player can build Dragon's Nest on an outpost. If that can't be implemented just have all the dragons locked until the building gets the ring.

Dragon post
Recruitable (only with smaug in possession of ring)
"Mini-Drogoth"
Fire Drakes
Ice Drakes

Ability (Passive?)
Dragon Rage: Around the building the dragons get a boost. This is to give the outpost a defensive measure.

HP?
Outpost Citadel Equivalent

How does that sound? Any ideas on the price it would cost? Other requirements? Also could anyone confirm how that would fit (if it does) in the lore.

kai69

• Bilbos Festgast
« Antwort #4 am: 15. Okt 2015, 01:11 »
im only commenting to say that i really like this idea, specially the description of it "to bring the age of dragons back to Middle Earth"

NetoD20

• Gastwirt zu Bree
  • BAN-KAI! Tear off... Golden Demon Slayer Jizõ!!!
« Antwort #5 am: 17. Okt 2015, 01:27 »
I don't know if I like the idea of Smaug creating a building, but I don't think it's something terrible either.
Another idea could be when Smaug brings the Age of the Dragons back he could summon a lot of dragon-type critters flying from the edges of the map into the battlefield. Maybe they could come overtime in various waves idk

Garlodur

• Gastwirt zu Bree
  • In Moria, in Khazad-Dûm
« Antwort #6 am: 21. Okt 2015, 17:35 »
Hello guys,

I have this idea for Smaug as ring hero in my head for a while and I would like to share it. I thought it best to post it in this discussion rather than starting a new one.
I know that the Misty Mountains are not a priority in production as of this moment, but an epic creature like Smaug deserves a terrific concept worthy of its calamity.

Firstly, I want to give some details on how I imagine Smaug to be as a recruitable hero.

Whereas these skills are quite clear, I thought they were too simple and not so unique. I therefore propose to add skills that refer to other characteristics of a dragon (and especially one like Smaug), namely greed: dragons are attracted by wealth, gold and treasures of all kinds, and this should be connected to the Edain Mod as it strives to reach realism in accordance to the movies, books and other canon material.

Recruitable Smaug

Smaug as Ring hero

To conclude, Smaug becomes a greedy dragon that still fulfills the role of mass slayer and building destroyer, whilst also hindering heroes and debuffing enemies.
I hope you will like this extensive idea and you are free to improve on it.  ;)

Lastly, as a direct contribution on this topic I had another small idea: the outpost for the Misty Mountains could be a large dragon cave where Smaug can be recruited along with some small drakes. When Smaug gets the Ring, the production of these other dragon types (I am unfamiliar with their use in 3.8), is allowed.

The_Necromancer0

• Edain Team
« Antwort #7 am: 21. Okt 2015, 21:07 »
Wow, this is super impressive. I've read through the whole and while the value may need balancing the overall thing is well-balanced. I support fully the idea for the outpost. Going through this step by step with my suggestions:

1. Smaug's Presence (passive)/ Presence of a Calamity (passive)
I really like this ability and you've balanced it well. However while it fits with the role of a building destroyer I'm not sure it's lore accurate. The name are very well thought out but my opinion is that that the effects don't fit him. Smaug is a brutal building destroyer that prefers to do everything on the physical plane of existence. An aura doesn't fit him (IMO)

2.his power is bound to the treasury of the player
Love it!! Great idea, provides Smaug with a unique system. Here's my suggestion: since the power of Smaug is tied to the player's treasury I think to balance it out (if required) we could make it that Smaug will lose armor but gain speed in his attempt to find a new treasure as fast as possible. If the player well to fall below 500/1000 Smaug would grow restless and look for new treasures.

3. Fire flight
I definitely think it should, in fact, be given to him when he is a ring hero.

4. Golden Armor
Interesting, I not sure what to say about this one but it is definitely something to think about.

Nice post, clear, precise and well structured. Keep up the good job. xD