[en] Edain Mod > [Edain] Gondor Suggestions

Narya

(1/26) > >>

Walküre:
THE REPATRIATION OF NARYA

--- Zitat ---Now all these things were achieved for the most part by the counsel and vigilance of Mithrandir, and in the last few days he was revealed as a lord of great reverence, and clad in white he rode into battle; but not until the time came for him to depart was it known that he had long guarded the Red Ring of Fire. At the first that Ring had been entrusted to Círdan, Lord of the Havens; but he had surrendered it to Mithrandir, for he knew whence he came and whither at last he would return.

‘Take now this Ring,’ he said; 'for thy labours and thy cares will be heavy, but in all it will support thee and defend thee from weariness. For this is the Ring of Fire, and herewith, maybe, thou shalt rekindle hearts to the valour of old in a world that grows chill. But as for me, my heart is with the Sea, and I will dwell by the grey shores, guarding the Havens until the last ship sails. Then I shall await thee.’
--- Ende Zitat ---
J.R.R. Tolkien - The Silmarillion: Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age

Following in the footsteps of the recent wide-ranging and extremely fruitful debate regarding Gandalf and possible solutions to make him even more canonical, I present the final proposal that emerged from differing views and a lot of insightful debating. May I just say that I find this a valuable compromise which aims to add the only missing piece to the Grey/White Wizard's design, while respecting the binding limits of this tough (very tough) topic. Many thanks to all the ones who participated with passion to the development of the thread and shared their precious ideas. In particular, a special merit ought to be given to Haman (who helped me in finding the right conclusion) and to dkbluewizard (who started the discussion in the first place). Hence, we here propose the final and totally lore-accurate repatriation of Narya to its legitimate owner during the War of the Ring (and most of the events regarding the fall of Arnor).

The current presence of Narya in the game is a clear violation of the lore, even though the reasons behind this choice (as I understood them) have a logic. All the Three Rings are in fact in Elven hands. As the quotation at the beginning tells, though, the lore speaks clearly; Narya belongs to Gandalf and to him only. It's only in the hands of the Istar that the Ring of Fire could fully fulfil its duty, which was granting endurance to the bearer (in all perils) and inspiring in the people the will to fight any form of tyranny, until the victory of the Good.

Given that the Edain Mod is mainly based on the War of the Ring, and Gondor is one of the factions that embody the cinematographic trilogy the most, I think it's quite imperative that Narya be in the hands of the one who wields it in the faction's timeline. The very theme at the core of LOTR is the conflict against the Evil of Middle-earth and the strife of the Free People to preserve their freedom; this is also the theme from which Narya and Gandalf's deeds feed. And we shouldn't forget that Gondor represents also the primary duty of Men in defending the World, as the Elves did in the First Age. So, taking all these premises into account very carefully, I would say it's of paramount importance to return that Ring of Power to Mithrandir, in line with the true essence of the Edain Mod and of Gondor itself.

Thus, the Three Rings would be available in three different factions (Rivendell, the Golden Wood and Gondor), each of them with its proper characterisation and in the just place. Círdan, on his side, would then be appointed the role he's supposed to have during Imladris' timeline; that is, the guardian of the Grey Havens, destined to wait until all the mightiest Eldar of a noble lineage sail to the West (indicating the end of the Third Age). In my opinion, going back to his actual characterisation does do justice to Círdan, as I have always seen him as a kind of in-between character, who loves the mortal shores and longs for the Undying Lands at the same time (his Palantír is the only one able to go beyond Arda's borders and even reach Eressëa). His interest is mainly into the Sea, and not into the active and dynamic role of leading the Good against Sauron; role that truly pertains to whom bears Narya.
Círdan's current ability involving Narya is to be replaced by the horns of Ulmo, the Vala of all oceans and seas. The concept was crafted by following the purest principles of the lore and Tolkien's own vision. The description is below. Furthermore, the last ability of the hero is on the other hand overhauled as it follows, based on the role of the sea-Maia Ossë and of his ancient friendship with the Teleri, whom he taught the art of naval craftsmanship in the ancestral Years of the Trees.

Ulmo does stand before all the other Valar in might, apart from Manwë and Varda (the mightiest of all). In the words of the quotation below, the Vala of the oceans can count on the genuine love of the Eldar, whom he often helps and guides. Rivers, streams and seas tell him and whisper the events of mortal lands, so that very little is in the end a secret for the Lord of the Water. Following in the footsteps of Narya's hope-infusing nature, this feature will equally rekindle hope in the hearts of the Elves. I took the liberty to create the button of the very ability and to rename it Ulumúri, because I personally deem it a better title (a bit more mysterious and sea-like). I have also found a suitable sound: something that you, Aulë, will hopefully recognise in a second ;)

Ulumúri (Level 1): The Horns of Ylmir resound in battle, in times of struggle and strife. For 15 seconds all allied units on the map are fearless. Surrounding units gain +10% attack.

Sound: Horns of Ylmir.

--- Zitat ---Nonetheless Ulmo loves both Elves and Men, and never abandoned them, not even when they lay under the wrath of the Valar. At times he win come unseen to the shores of Middle-earth, or pass far inland up firths of the sea, and there make music upon his great horns, the Ulumúri, that are wrought of white shell; and those to whom that music comes hear it ever after in their hearts, and longing for the sea never leaves them again. But mostly Ulmo speaks to those who dwell in Middle-earth with voices that are heard only as the music of water. For all seas, lakes, rivers, fountains and springs are in his government; so that the Elves say that the spirit of Ulmo runs in all the veins of the world. Thus news comes to Ulmo, even in the deeps, of all the needs and griefs of Arda, which otherwise would be hidden from Manwë.
--- Ende Zitat ---
J.R.R. Tolkien - The Silmarillion: Valaquenta

Tutelage of Ossë (Level 10): Thanks to the teachings of Ossë, Círdan strengthens all allied ships, buildings and siege engines on the map, granting them +50% armour for 30 seconds.

--- Zitat ---But of all the Maiar Ossë and Uinen are best known to the Children of Ilúvatar.
Ossë is a vassal of Ulmo, and he is master of the seas that wash the shores of Middle-earth. He does not go in the deeps, but loves the coasts and the isles, and rejoices in the winds of Manwë; for in storm he delights, and laughs amid the roaring of the waves. His spouse is Uinen, the Lady of the Seas, whose hair lies spread through all waters under sky. All creatures she loves that live in the salt streams, and all weeds that grow there; to her mariners cry, for she can lay calm upon the waves, restraining the wildness of Ossë. The Númenóreans lived long in her protection, and held her in reverence equal to the Valar.
Melkor hated the Sea, for he could not subdue it. It is said that in the making of Arda he endeavoured to draw Ossë to his allegiance, promising to him all the realm and power of Ulmo, if he would serve him. So it was that long ago there arose great tumults in the sea that wrought ruin to the lands. But Uinen, at the prayer of Aulë, restrained Ossë and brought him before Ulmo; and he was pardoned and returned to his allegiance, to which he has remained faithful. For the most part; for the delight in violence has never wholly departed from him, and at times he will rage in his wilfulness without any command from Ulmo his lord. Therefore those who dwell by the sea or go up in ships may love him, but they do not trust him.

[...]

But when they learned that Ingwë and Finwë and their peoples were gone, then many of the Teleri pressed on to the shores of Beleriand, and dwelt thereafter near the Mouths of Sirion, in longing for their friends that had departed; and they took Olwë, Elwë’s brother, to be their king. Long they remained by the coasts of the western sea, and Ossë and Uinen came to them and befriended them; and Ossë instructed them, sitting upon a rock near to the margin of the land, and of him they learned all manner of sea-lore and sea-music. Thus it came to be that the Teleri, who were from the beginning lovers of water, and the fairest singers of all the Elves, were after enamoured of the seas, and their songs were filled with the sound of waves upon the shore.
When many years had passed, Ulmo hearkened to the prayers of the Noldor and of Finwë their king. Who grieved at their long sundering from the Teleri, and besought him to bring them to Aman, if they would come. And most of them proved now willing indeed; but great was the grief of Ossë when Ulmo returned to the coasts of Beleriand, to bear them away to Valinor; for his care was for the seas of Middle-earth and the shores of the Hither Lands, and he was ill-pleased that the voices of the Teleri should be heard no more in his domain. Some he persuaded to remain; and those were the Falathrim, the Elves of the Falas, who in after days had dwellings at the havens of Brithombar and Eglarest, the first mariners in Middle-earth and the first makers of ships. Círdan the Shipwright was their lord.
--- Ende Zitat ---
J.R.R. Tolkien - The Silmarillion

Ossë is the mightiest and greatest vassal of Ulmo. He commands storms and the impetuous waves of the sea. He was initially approached by Melkor, during the timeless eras before Eä, but he later disowned his friendship and eventually sided with the Valar. Albeit his role, some traits of his character seem to reflect his initial acquaintance of the Enemy, for Ossë rules over bad weather and dangerous marine phenomena too, revealing an indomitable and voluble spirit (as wavering as the waves themselves). I personally regard all the shades of his portrayal as one of Tolkien's best creations. However, the most interesting element that I deem marvellously perfect for our case is his personal friendship with Círdan and his people. One of the major events of the Teleri's ancestral lore is in fact the tutelage of Ossë, whom they had encountered while lingering on the westernmost shores of Beleriand; sent by Ulmo, he befriended them and was no longer willing to depart from their company. So, he managed to convince some of the Sea-elves to remain in Middle-earth (the people ruled by Círdan); the Maia then taught them the mysteries of naval craftsmanship and arts.

According to these premises, Ossë's dynamic nature will connect well with the enhancement of warfare that the ability entails, alongside referring to a pivotal event of the lore.
In the game: Due to the very well-known limitations that we had to deal with in proposing a concept for this extremely iconic and particular hero, we eventually opted for a stance system, so that no abilities will be altered, nor will Gandalf's role as a mass-slayer be changed even slightly. One could see the addition of Narya as a very smart scope for adhering rightly to the sources (the Three Rings!) and for enhancing the hero's current performance. Furthermore, last but not least, Gandalf happens to be Ealendril's favourite character in the game. We're therefore immensely aware of the difficult task of suggesting this sort of features for this sort of heroes. We nonetheless did our best. I hope you will appreciate the effort and the content.

His new stances will interact with his own magic shield, which is one of the most beloved features by fans, coming from the golden days of BFME. Extremely unique mechanics that I want to underline in the best of the ways.

--- Zitat ---GANDALF'S STANCES
Normal Stance: Narya - The Ring of Fire ensures a proper balance between spell effectiveness and the bubble-shield's frequency.
Narya also preserves its bearer from toil and wear, providing higher resistance against fire, poison, ice and magic.

Offensive Stance: Might of the Istar - Gandalf uses his potent magic to fight evil and tyranny. His spell damage is amplified by 50% and his attack by 15%.
On the other hand, his defence is decreased by 25% and his magical bubble-shield is completely disabled, leaving him vulnerable against enemy heroes and monsters.

Defensive Stance: Wizard's Shield - Gandalf conveys all his power to his bubble-shield, to resist any fell menace. His defence is increased by 25% and his bubble-shield's frequency will be a lot higher, granting him protection against units, monsters and heroes.
Conversely, the effort drains part of Gandalf's vigour and his spell damage is then decreased by 50%.
--- Ende Zitat ---

--- Zitat ---NOTE: In line with the ancient lore of the Three Rings and their particular nature, this proposal will be coherently linked with the other two I had the privilege to work on: Nenya and Vilya. The pivotal theme at the centre of things, preservation, will thus be explored in different manners, each compatible with the relative hero and context.
--- Ende Zitat ---

Given that the mission of the Istar started as soon as he had set foot on Middle-earth (around 1000 T.A.), Arnor's Gandalf and the Blue Mountains' Gandalf will be equally endowed with Narya. Gandalf the White will make usage of this feature in the same way Gandalf the Grey does (no changes). Gandalf the Corrupted will activate Narya in the same way too, but, instead of a magical shield, the Ring of Fire will automatically (with a given frequency) create disruptive blazes/explosions of fire (a case similar to when Zaphragor is under the influence of Might of the Witch-king). Gandalf the Blessed will have his defence and attack respectively increased or decreased by 100%, alongside the magical shield getting even stronger.

This is the whole proposal. Numbers and values may always change, but what makes this concept special is the evocative meaning behind it: an innovation which, in reality, is nothing more than a return to the lore and to a more prominent cinematographic (LOTR-loyal) atmosphere. I really think it would be as revolutionary to see as the other major overhauls that the forthcoming patch shall bring. I hope you will like it very much. And, again, many thanks to Haman, without whom all of this would have probably taken a different shape  ;)

IN FAVOUR

1. Walküre
2. Hamanathnath
3. Gandalf7000
4. lordoflinks
5. Fredius
6. dkbluewizard
7. DrHouse93
8. Slawek56703
9. Julio229
10. Sawman
11. The_Necromancer0
12. Firímar
13. Garlodur
14. Eomer der Verbannte
15. AmosVogel
16. lahe95
17. Lord Aytugar
18. The Witch-King of Angmar
19. Astapor
20. koh11
21. Dain@
22. Ectheldir
23. FilipGeorg95
24. AulëTheSmith
25. kreso
26. NoldorSithLordsShipwrigh t
27. mycaelspear
28. Secret Keeper
29. The_Nazgul
30. Isildurs Fluch
31. Fürst der Nazgûl
32. Tiberius Ogden
33. Fellowship_of_the_Ring
34. TheOnlyTrueWitchking
35. OakenShield224

AGAINST

1. Melkor Bauglir

lordoflinks:
As usual your concepts never fail to amaze.
The one fault I have but is that when Cirdan gives Gandalf the ring he states:
"Take this ring, master," he said, "for your labours will be heavy; but it will support you in the weariness that you have taken upon yourself. For this is the Ring of Fire, and with it you may rekindle hearts in a world that grows chill."
This implies Gandalf uses the ring to bolster those around him rather than his own powers, and as much as I hate to say it; I am Against the proposed implementation at the moment, as it just does not sit right with me, the concept is wonderfully proposed but in order for it to sit right with me there needs to be some sort of interaction between Narya and other units/ heroes.   

Walküre:

--- Zitat von: lordoflinks am  5. Jan 2017, 12:49 ---As usual your concepts never fail to amaze.
The one fault I have but is that when Cirdan gives Gandalf the ring he states:
"Take this ring, master," he said, "for your labours will be heavy; but it will support you in the weariness that you have taken upon yourself. For this is the Ring of Fire, and with it you may rekindle hearts in a world that grows chill."
This implies Gandalf uses the ring to bolster those around him rather than his own powers, and as much as I hate to say it; I am Against the proposed implementation at the moment, as it just does not sit right with me, the concept is wonderfully proposed but in order for it to sit right with me there needs to be some sort of interaction between Narya and other units/ heroes.

--- Ende Zitat ---

I appreciate the fact that you liked the form, but it also saddens me a bit that you disagree with the content. I absolutely respect your opinion though. As I both pointed out here and in our discussion about Gandalf, hope-infusing properties are lore-accurate indeed, but I can guarantee you that Gandalf will never be given any kind of leadership on any unit: his role is the one of a solitary mass-slayer. He's the mightiest hero of the faction, yet other heroes are supposed to be leaders in Gondor.

So, as I suggested, the only way to find a compromise is to view Gandalf's leadership of the Good as the power of his impressive spells (whenever he fights the Evil). Otherwise, there is no space left for additions of the sort you referred to. The leadership issue was in fact one of the major causes that caused many past proposals to sink. We didn't want to make the same mistake.

Gandalf7000:
I Agree with this suggestion. Let's give Narya a proper spot in the mod!!! :)

Walküre:

--- Zitat von: Gandalf7000 am  5. Jan 2017, 13:05 ---I Agree with this suggestion. Let's give Narya a proper spot in the mod!!! :)

--- Ende Zitat ---

I knew you wanted to have your Ring of Power back  xD

Navigation

[0] Themen-Index

[#] Nächste Seite

Zur normalen Ansicht wechseln