18. Apr 2024, 11:34 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: Galadriel  (Gelesen 107463 mal)

Odysseus

• Galadhrim
Re: Galadriel
« Antwort #120 am: 20. Apr 2016, 15:26 »
I am glad we agree Walk. The gameplay experience could be enhanced significantly both for the competitive and the casual players if we could remove all the Random Number Generator mechanics that are still present in the mod, such as the Dwarven Greed and Galadriel's level 7 glance in the mirror ability.
“For so sworn good or evil an oath may not be broken and it shall pursue oathkeeper and oathbreaker to the world's end.”

Hamanathnath

• Gefährte der Gemeinschaft
« Antwort #121 am: 20. Apr 2016, 16:33 »
Well, I would say that Glance in the Mirrior isn't as risky as using greed is, because while you are at risk when you use Glance in the Mirrior, the reward that you could get is incredibly powerful.  For Greed, the risk is too high, and the reward not high enough, at least in my opinion.

Though I do agree that the RNG should be removed from Glance of the Mirrior for gameplay reasons. 

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #122 am: 12. Jul 2016, 15:55 »
I really think it would be better to move this discussion here, so that a very interesting concept might be eventually found  :)

Garlodur

• Gastwirt zu Bree
  • In Moria, in Khazad-Dûm
« Antwort #123 am: 18. Jul 2016, 00:45 »
I think it would be very interesting indeed to give Galadriel such a in-between form as you have sketched. However, I have some problems with the portrayal of it in the movies.

In the book LOTR it is described as if Galadrieo briefly shows what kind of power she could be, and this can be interpreted as not so much a vision in the minds of Frodo and Sam, but also as a temporary change of appearance. What PJ did in the FOTR is exactly the kind of power that is described in the book, with which I completely agree, but what he did next in BOTFA was awful in my eyes, especially the way Galadriel was portrayed as very crazy and powerful whenever she feels like it. This is not in line with the power she shows briefly in the LOTR.

These are just my thoughts on the issue. Quite problematic because I think Galadriel would do well with some extra powers, but on the other hand there is this inconsistency between the books and the films.

Adding a bit to the discussion regarding her powers (I am changing my standpoint to 'in favour' here) I think it's crucial that this separate form that is clearly much stronger offensively should have a high cost in the form of Health Points, for example. Just like the Necromancer she could have a separate stance that allows these powers to be used but it gives her only two abilities:

1) (Passive) Galadriel does more damage to single targets from a much closer range (but not melee) at the cost of hit points for every attack, with possible inclusion of debuff for hit enemies or even areal debuff to ALL nearby units.
2) Banishment (active) - at a high cost of health points (50-75%) Galadriel scares away enemy units while enemy heroes are unable to attack for very short amount of time

The idea behind this was the fact that it costs Galadriel a lot of energy to conjure these powers (either actually heavy or dramatically increased heavy) as seen in BOTFA.
The stances system disappears, however, when Galadriel chooses to accept or deny the Ring, and become the Dark Queen or The Blessed consequently. I believe this makes sense as she has chosen to become 'holy' or embrace her dark side.

I hope this post was not too confusing ;)

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #124 am: 18. Jul 2016, 03:56 »
First of all, thank you for having decided to participate in the debate. Your post was very clear and much fruitful to discuss some interesting points about  :)

More or less, I agree with you about the cinematographic portrayal in BOTFA. As I wrote myself in that initial post, this aspect is quite controversial and fiercely criticised by many fans of both the actual lore (mainly books) and the films. If you have some time to spend, I sincerely recommend you visit the Prancing Pony section of this forum, where you can find so many discussions about 'Seaweed' or 'Drowned' Galadriel and the concept's accurate/possible or inaccurate consistency with Tolkien's view (I have defended WETA's and PJ's portrayal of hers numerous times, presenting some lore facts and arguing clearly my position). In spite of the fact that not even her mirror sequence in FOTR is theoretically so much respectful of the main source (Galadriel was intentionally made a bit 'enigmatic' and subtly insidious by PJ), what I believe is that she would have been well able to temporarily banish the severely-weakened Sauron from Dol Guldur, assuming some sort of offensive form (the actual appearance is very much to be questioned though).

I do have evidences that her initial portrayal was really not intended to be that grotesque: I found some non-CGI images of her that could be viewed as a just compromise between the explosion of power that she conveys and the need of making her scarier and darker to adapt to that special context. Unfortunately, I recently changed PC and lost those pictures; but I will surely take time to retrieve them again from the unexplored width of the Internet. Nevertheless, pictures or not, Seaweed Galadriel has logical purposes behind her atypical concept, based on the specific BOTFA film-lore that PJ and the writers make usage of for their script: that is, once she steps out in Dol Guldur to save Gandalf, she rapidly has her powers and sacred aura being gradually drained by the poisonous influence of that dark fortress and by the action of Sauron himself, who, as a beacon, attracts and pulls out her latent obscure ambitions (as I stated, not necessarily evil, but obscure anyway). This is something PJ, Philippa Boyens and another writer explained exhaustively in a making-of video concerning the White Council sequence.

Adding to that, in another part of the video, Philippa Boyens (one of the main three writers of LOTR and the Hobbit, along with PJ and his wife) confirms that Galadriel loses plenty of her powers in banishing Sauron, and that's why she consequently appears a bit 'detached' in LOTR. Now, given that this last statement is really not so much loyal to the lore (Galadriel, in fact, is author of pivotal deeds in the War of the Ring), I nonetheless wanted to explore this 'weakening' motive more deeply, ending up with deciding to slow her movements down whenever she chooses to take that form (for the amount of power that she has to bear). Following this premise, I really like the suggestions you made about health and other possible consequences. Although the concept itself is still at its very first stage, this relevant theme could be a solid base to start from indeed.

Another point I also want to make clear again is the conceptual necessity of making this stance option a very temporary and drastic solution for dangerous situations, where her safety is really at risk by the action of heroes and monsters in particular. Otherwise, this feature would become just a poorer version of the Dark Queen, without any real logic of gameplay and balance, given that she is supposed to remain in her ethereal and supportive form most of the time.
« Letzte Änderung: 18. Jul 2016, 04:06 von DieWalküre »

DrHouse93

• Elronds Berater
« Antwort #125 am: 19. Jul 2016, 18:07 »
Just got an idea, Walk: what about a compromise between my concept and yours? Explanation:

When Galadriel activates her "Terrible form", she will have the skills of my concept, but it will use them through her Phial. The time she can be in her Terrible Form is very limited (but it increases as she levels up)

When becoming Holy, she loses this stance (she doesn't need it anymore). To make her Terrible Form less accessible, there are two requirements: the cooldown, of course (which is very long, though it decreases as she levels up) and the main one, her health. What if she can activate her Terrible Form when her health is below 33%? Why this?

Let's consider the only two times we have seen (on the big screen) her Terrible Form. The first one is in LOTR. But that may be just a demo of her real powers, and it may have been induced by the presence of the Ring

When she really makes use of her Terrible Form is in Dol Guldur. In fact, just moments before to activate it, she was lying on the ground, drained of life force from the poisonous presence of Sauron in the fortress. Then she mightly stands up and banishes him from Dol Guldur, although she's been able to remain in that form just for a bunch of seconds. So here's the new concept

When Galadriel's health is below 33% and the ability has recharged, she can activate her Terrible Form, during which she will move very slowly, debuff and scare ALL nearby units and knock down and debuff even more enemies struck by her attacks. Her abilities will rather be performed through her Phial, and will be the following:

1. Gaze of Terrible Galadriel - ALL nearby units and heroes will have -10% damage and armor. Enemies struck by her ordinary attacks will be weakened by an additional -10% damage and armor malus, and will be knocked down. Passive ability
2. You have no power here! - Resets the counters of the chosen enemy hero's abilities to "just used" (same effect of the Witch-king's ability). Requires level 4
3. You are formless! - For a medium period of time, the chosen enemy hero will deal no damage. Requires level 7
4. Foundations of the earth - It summons a small earthquake on a nearby building. Galadriel's old classic. Requires level 9
5. Banishment - The chosen enemy hero will be instantly teleported to the closest allied base, and will be unable to do anything for an extended period of time. This ability has a long cooldown, and it's a mighty disrupting ability to compensate for not being able to use Nenya in her Terrible Form. Requires level 10

To balance the ability, when she's on her Terrible Form her Armor is considerably raised, and as soon as she switches back to her normal self, she won't be able to do anything for 5 or 10 seconds (some sort of "recovery time", as we saw in BOTFA). This will put her in a risky situation whenever her health is low: will she sacrifice movement speed in exchange of awesome powers, but risking to be killed in the aftermath recovery, or will she simply run away?

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #126 am: 23. Jul 2016, 00:00 »
Thank you very much, DrHouse, for your input. There are certain elements that I don't completely agree with, but your ideas were nonetheless very interesting, and absolutely useful to refine some aspects I had in mind  :)

The whole weakening theme of this proposal can now be dealt with much more properly, in the light of your own considerations. Making the option available at 30% of health is undoubtedly a good means, via which that said form is both not available at any time and exactly symbolises its utility in dangerous situations that may put Galadriel in serious danger. I must say I substantially appreciate this side of the concept.

What leaves me a bit doubtful, though, is the quite disproportionate number of powers that you proposed. I think the most appropriate solution is granting her only two abilities: a passive aura that has negative effects on units and heroes (mainly speed, armour and attack) and the banishment power at level 10 (terror on all types of units and heroes, while she momentarily disables their own powers). In these terms, I guess we can find a just balance between her need to defend herself in critical contexts and the fact that she is supposed to remain in her normal ethereal appearance most of the time. Of course, this is my personal opinion, and I'm always looking forward to other people's contributions to the matter, in order to find a decently satisfying compromise among different views.

Fredius

• Edain Betatesting
  • Galadhrim
  • It's good to be evil
« Antwort #127 am: 7. Aug 2016, 22:53 »
So I just read your suggestions, and to sum it up I for the most part agree with Dr.House's concept. I'm not fond of giving her only those two abilities you proposed Walk, because it doesn't really seem worth to risk losing Galadriel when the Terrible form runs out of time, during which she becomes very vulnerable. Also shouldn't the terrible form show how strong she is when going all-offensive? Just a negative effect on enemies and a terror attack doesn't really reflect on how strong she actually can be; not to mention the fact that she already has a terror attack when in light form.

Now, about the powers which Dr.House propsed, I mostly agree with them. However, personally I find the "reset abilities timer" power kinda unnecessary. How can you even predict when a hero has used his powers, especially when you fight against AI [ugly]? I think combining that power with "You are formless!" should do it more justice.

"Banishment" seems to be a little tricky; if the player is already besieging the enemy base, wouldn't it be a bit weird to "banish" the hero back to the nearest base, when he is already fighting there? It's like Galadriel trying to banish Sauron in Dol Guldur like in the movie, but instead of banishing him to Mordor, he just moves to another spot in the fortress. That's pretty hilarious if I think about it :D. To be honest I can't think of any alternative effect at the moment, and I'm not really against this power, since it also disables the hero completely for a little while, so I'm all fine with it. It just has a funny side-effect on it :P.

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #128 am: 12. Aug 2016, 21:28 »
Ok, after your very precious contributions, I decided to refine the whole concept a bit. The general guidelines and premises will nonetheless remain the same though; that is, the core conceptual arguments and lore structure that justify the very existence of this feature in the game.

ANCIENT MIGHT OF GALADRIEL

The heart of the concept

Zitat
My concept is mainly fashioned on what we see in BOTFA, during the banishment of Sauron. A controversial interpretation that both received praises for being innovative and a lot of criticism for its evident grotesque (if not macabre) touch. Nevertheless, left aside film-related debates, my ideas are centred on that aspect: Seaweed Galadriel. A form and a display of power that neither represents the 'normal' nature of Galadriel, nor does it come close to her having accepted the One Ring and thus becoming the Dark Queen of Middle Earth. A truly 'medium' appearance between the White (normal) and the Darkness (Dark Queen); symbolising that, albeit the sacred prowess of the Lady of Light, she has not been tested yet and so maintains in her heart deep ambitions of power (what has characterised her since her departure from Aman for this very reason). Her renowned ambition is quite far to be evil (given that she doesn't seek power by violent and subduing means), but it undoubtedly holds something obscure and dark about it. As DrHouse already pointed out fairly: dark sides of her personality and inner might.

I do have evidences that her initial portrayal was really not intended to be that grotesque: I found some non-CGI images portraying that could be viewed as a just compromise between the explosion of power that she conveys and the need of making her scarier and darker to adapt to that special context. Nevertheless, pictures or not, Seaweed Galadriel has logical purposes behind her atypical concept, based on the specific BOTFA film-lore that PJ and the writers make usage of for their script: that is, once she steps out in Dol Guldur to save Gandalf, she rapidly has her powers and sacred aura being gradually drained by the poisonous influence of that dark fortress and by the action of Sauron himself, who, as a beacon, attracts and pulls out her latent obscure ambitions which transform her in a sort of underwater spirit (as I stated, not necessarily evil, but obscure anyway). This is something PJ, Philippa Boyens and another writer explained exhaustively in a making-of video concerning the White Council sequence. The whole eerie environment thus functions as a transitional/transfiguration altar, in the sense that Galadriel is eventually tainted and absorbs part of the very place's properties (altering her proper essence).

An additional theme to deal with could be the supernatural might of the Eldar themselves. Their purest and rough magical potential, which is not always deemed so much holy by whom it involves. Men in the Third Age, just to present an example, feared magic in almost all its forms, because they could not completely understand its nature and due to the contrast between the mightiest Eldar's power and the disenchanted motive of Middle-earth. The Good made often usage of terrible and destructive devices to contest the Evil, as the Valar did in the wars against Melkor. Whenever I think about those multifaceted and more obscure characterisation of the Elves, my mind relates to this particular song, which is one of the most important themes of the LOTR soundtrack: the great grief and regret of the Eldar for having unintentionally helped Sauron's schemes via the forging of the Rings of Power, although they had yearned the restoration in the mortal World of the unattainable bliss of Valinórë.

Adding to that, in another part of the video, Philippa Boyens (one of the main three writers of LOTR and the Hobbit, along with PJ and his wife) confirms that Galadriel loses plenty of her powers in banishing Sauron, and that's why she consequently appears a bit 'detached' in LOTR. Now, given that this last statement is really not so much loyal to the lore (Galadriel, in fact, is author of pivotal deeds in the War of the Ring), I nonetheless wanted to explore this 'weakening' motive more deeply, ending up with deciding to slow her movements down whenever she chooses to take that form (for the amount of power that she has to bear). Following this premise, I really like the suggestions you made about health and other possible consequences. Although the concept itself is still at its very first stage, this relevant theme could be a solid base to start from indeed.

Both accepting and refusing the One Ring will cause her to necessarily lose this stance system. Especially, becoming Blessed leads her to renounce to her ambitions and she hands over the phial to Frodo. Therefore, I don't think that she needs a stance system at all after taking the One Ring, but I had honestly not thought about possible concepts for her blessed form yet; henceforth, proposing that kind of features may be an option too. The core reasoning is that this will give her the possibility to have some chances to block and avoid units and heroes in dangerous contexts, without altering and disrupting her coherent role so much. Galadriel is also, along with Sauron, one of the most prominent and iconic heroes in the game, and I thus sincerely believe that she greatly deserves such unique stance system as the Lord of Mordor's (with all the due differences).

First of all, I think we can find a just compromise between our differing views, by basically merging some aspects of the proposed abilities and then reducing them to three. As I already pointed out above, what I deem vital is avoiding to make this stance-form a sort of poorer version of the Dark Queen, bearing in mind that the option we are discussing is primarily supposed to be used in very situational and emergency contexts (resulting in her acquiring a hero-interfer role and endurance against monsters). This defensive feature would nonetheless be legitimate for a 3000-resource heroine, who is the leader of Lothlórien and the mightiest Elf in the Third Age.

Furthermore, the stance-system is meant to twist her supportive abilities in interfering features, to mirror (with the due differences) what happens with Sauron: the concept of mutating nature/essence (appearance) and unlocking aggressive powers. Galadriel, as the Dark Lord's nemesis in Middle-earth, would thus have too the chance to show how much disruptive her prowess can be towards the enemies (and the shift to this more aggressive form would exactly be symbolised by her transformation).

That said, she is really not to become (even in that temporary form) a mass slayer option for her faction at all (thus, my opposition to disproportionate powers). This 'Seaweed' form is exactly set apart from any logic and reference involving the One Ring. As a conceptual note aside, I hope you appreciate the fact that her normal supportive properties would thus be inverted in deep interference and gloomy influence; just like her appearance does (symbolising the twist even more effectively).

Since I know that this thread has a natural proclivity in inspiring me to produce very long and intricate walls of text, I will so restrain myself a bit and opt for a synthetical exposition.

General Elements

The option Ancient Might will replace her stance system. In the whole duration of said form, she won't be capable of attacking both units and structures, and her movements will be slowed down severely. Always taking quite for granted that she should always need to be escorted by other heroes and troops, those collateral consequences are well compensated by the negative influence she casts.

The basic properties of Galadriel's presence in the game must absolutely remain unaltered. She must continue to remain behind the frontline and cast her Magic (supportive or disruptive) via long-range abilities.

Ancient Might turns Galadriel into her Drowned/Seaweed form, affecting her with the above-mentioned restrictions and unlocking temporarily (from a minimum of 30 seconds, to a maximum of four minutes) a Palantír that consists of the following abilities.

ANCIENT MIGHT

Uncanny Presence (level 1): Passive. All heroes and monsters in her vicinity gets -15% on attack and speed. Galadriel's armour against them is increased by 30%.

Wrath of the Elven Queen (level 3): The Queen of Wood-elves unleashes her terrible wrath in the form of a concentric explosion of power. All enemies in its radius are violently knocked back and harmed.

Very fitting graphical effects for her blast could be the ones showcased in this video, which is a presentation of Ealendril's Chronicles Submod. The FX I'm referring to are the ones shown at the beginning (at 0:20). The current rendition should be modified a little though, doing away with Sauron's iconic sound and with the whole heating effect (making the blast faster will also do well for our purpose).

You Have no Power! (level 7): Once it's used on a single hero, the enemy hero deals no damage for a brief amount of time (and, if its ordinary attack contemplates this, it doesn't knock back either until the effect is over).

Banishment into the Void (level 10): Galadriel unleashes the might of her phial and casts her confining spell against the Evil. All enemy heroes, monsters and units in a radius will flee in terror, their abilities will be reset and the nearest units are knocked back by the shockwave of the very power.

IMPORTANT: The usage of this ability will automatically force Galadriel to return to her normal form. This ultimate display of might will drain all her remaining energies to maintain the Drowned/Seaweed appearance, as it's exactly shown in BOTFA.

Zitat
The model of Galadriel in the evil campaign of BFME2 shall be used for Ancient Might, so that the Edain Team won't have to work on anything related to graphics. I also find this very appearance of hers as very apt for our needs, given that it marvellously depicts the in-between characterisation of this feature (between the Lady of Light and the Dark Queen). I also think that the aura surrounding her well portrays Galadriel's obscure prowess coming forth, as it was conceived in the original intentions of WETA. Furthermore, I view those effects (FX) as a sort of sea mist being spread while she's mutating her nature, in line with the exact definition provided by WETA: an underwater spirit! Last but not least, water connects automatically with Nenya and the vast seas of Middle-earth, which Galadriel longs greatly to journey beyond (desire that her Ring has constantly been nourishing).

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ap85xo2Ejb0

Speaking about graphics and animations, I would dare to say that there shouldn't be big problematical issues concerning these fields. A complete model of Galadriel is already at hand. Eerie Aura and You Have no Power don't need an animation at all, Wrath of the Elven Queen could simply utilise one of her ordinary animations for the attack (when she raises her arm) and for the third one there is Frodo's phial animation (which would be perfectly fitting for her equally); the ultimate ability (banishment) will also show a blue-ish explosion, based on Dark Queen's ordinary attack (that ghostly blue-ish tone will exactly indicate that she's resembling a lesser version of her terrible form). Her slowed down movements could imitate the pace of common peasants.

SOUNDS: German and English.

Galadriel's whirl against structures: Storm
Eerie Aura (in loop): Enchanting Words
Wrath of the Elven Queen: ''I will destroy you'' (the German version of the line has been provided as well)
You Have no Power: ''You have no power here!''
Banishment into the Void: ''Go back...''

I decided to do away with the earthquake-ability, as it would have objectively been too much and contrasted with the main lore and gameplay principles of this proposal (not to mention the evident resemblance with the Dark Queen). I believe this may be a very balanced design, and the fact that this feature is temporary (and, I suppose, characterised by a quite long recharging time) takes us far from the risk of overpowering her unnecessarily. This is still a work-in-progress concept though, and I'm thus more than open to any new suggestion or insight (concerning balance, in particular). You are also absolutely free to propose new names for her powers (I like very much the alliteration in the first one). A response from the Edain Team might be great too, especially when it comes to the technical field. I'm sure this proposal has indeed some chances to be developed decently and to finally bloom as a new element of the very game (endowing Galadriel, in a clever way, with significant traits that correspond perfectly to her leading role)  8-)

All the graphical aspects are obviously secondary at this initial stage (hoping to deal with them later, even though I already have some ideas). Nevertheless, I had already presented last year suitable sounds for our purposes (both in German and in English) and I fortunately managed to retrieve the BOTFA concept arts I referred to above from the unexplored width of the Internet. As you can see, non-CGI Seaweed Galadriel fits our context very well: this appearance displays her obscure potential and ambitions (not evil, for she doesn't seek for power with violence) that come forth when she is tainted by darkness and in serious peril, without turning her in a grotesque incubus. The mild solution which may be what we need.

IN FAVOUR

1. Walküre
2. Fredius
3. DrHouse93
4. The_Necromancer0
5. Julio229
6. Garlodur
7. LordDainIronfoot
8. CragLord
9. dkbluewizard
10. Amandil7
11. lordoflinks
12. Dain@
13. OakenShield224
14. Slawek56703
15. Gandalf7000
16. Eomer der Verbannte
17. AmosVogel
18. lahe95
19. Astapor
20. FilipGeorg95
21. AulëTheSmith
22. NoldorSithLordsShipwrigh t
23. The_Nazgul
24. Fürst der Nazgûl
25. Tauriel?
26. GrisoN (ModDB)
27. REAPER357
28. n1ck_liv (Discord)
« Letzte Änderung: 24. Jan 2018, 16:42 von Walküre »

Fredius

• Edain Betatesting
  • Galadhrim
  • It's good to be evil
« Antwort #129 am: 12. Aug 2016, 23:51 »
This looks like a very solid and promising concept. A great middle way between your and Dr.House's ideas. I have nothing more to add than to say that I agree with this proposal xD.

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #130 am: 13. Aug 2016, 00:09 »
I'm very glad to hear that  ;)

I guess that we might still need other people's opinions to have this concept polished even more. Yes, though, I too feel that we are in the right direction; and I'm eagerly waiting for Odysseus to participate as well  xD

DrHouse93

• Elronds Berater
« Antwort #131 am: 13. Aug 2016, 14:51 »
Awesome idea, Walk! The Terrible Galadriel's form without CGI is awesome, too^^

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #132 am: 16. Aug 2016, 15:46 »
I finalised one additional aspect of the graphical side of this proposal. These are the icon-pictures I think would fit very well for the whole feature and the abilities presented; I will also update the main concept by matching each power with smaller versions of the said images. I hope you will like them very much  ;)

Ambitions from Ancient Times

1. Eerie Aura

2. You Have no Power!

3. Banishment into the Void (This one is probably my favourite).

Another great issue to face is the actual graphical appearance of Galadriel while she's in this form: I think they could modify the current ordinary model and make it resemble the non-CGI concept art of Seaweed Galadriel (with adding, maybe, a minor-size blue-ish aura as the one of the Dark Queen). Not having been provided with clear indications regarding these matters and the whole suggestion itself, I would then prefer to wait for other people to participate and give their contributions (especially on balance and gameplay).

Odysseus

• Galadhrim
« Antwort #133 am: 16. Aug 2016, 16:57 »
Well, what can I say Walk? The amount of time and work you spend on your proposal are quite apparent, and I do really enjoy that, as per usual. However, I am torn inbetween the two options. This more cinematic interpretation of Galadriel looks amazing, but I do really like the current Galadriel as she complements the faction's design greatly.
“For so sworn good or evil an oath may not be broken and it shall pursue oathkeeper and oathbreaker to the world's end.”

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #134 am: 16. Aug 2016, 22:12 »
First of all, thank you very much for the compliments. I'm really happy that you appreciate the concept and its relative different sides  :)

I do understand your point very clearly. I had often been unsure about the possibility to propose this suggestion in the past and questioned its very legitimacy as an enriching feature for the game: many people disliked the BOTFA rendition of Galadriel and the whole grotesque atmosphere lying behind the Dol Guldur sequence, mainly due to her controversial appearance according to PJ's view (known as 'Seaweed Galadriel' for the reference to seaweed and to water/sea). That didn't stop me, though, from doing some researches based on lore-sources and trying to find my way through the particularity of these matters, so that I could eventually hope to present a valid proposal despite the initial difficulties.

As I pointed out in my previous comments, the whole new feature explores Galadriel's millenary ambitions and the obscure yet never evil side of her personality that always accompanied her since the Exile from Aman. I think it would be absolutely great to implement this trait in the game and that it would surely benefit the Lady of Lothlórien, perfectly in line with the Edain Mod's standards. Normal Galadriel, the Dark Queen, Blessed Galadriel and Seaweed Galadriel would equally be part of Lórien, each of them having its fair proportionate role in accordance to the known criteria (lore, cinematographic prominence, gameplay and so on).

I share your same opinion on the ordinary Galadriel: she fits greatly in the faction and her design is one of the most lore and gameplay accurate ones in the game. But, I also really consider that 'wild' element of hers absolutely worth being added, in order to give even more value to her essence and more value to the faction as a whole. The abilities proposed would exactly complete her central supportive nature, granting the player the concrete opportunity to turn support into interference, and to resolve the heroine's weakness towards heroes and monsters in very difficult contexts (bearing in mind that such choice is characterised by defined restrictions and inevitable risks).

I assure you that I put all the efforts I could to come up with something that wouldn't disrupt Galadriel's primary premises as a hero (given that the normal form will remain of paramount importance), but rather being complementary to it; a favourable chance to get really close to her psychological characterisation when she is not tested yet and to refer to that intense witchcraft-motive present in BOTFA. No way will Galadriel ever become a mass-slayer or offensive hero (that is, a poor surrogate of the Dark Queen), nor is anything of this suggestion to be centred on lore abominations. This addition deserves to be part of the diversified Edain universe and I hope everyone will see the deep purposes behind (that makes it well greater than something which needs to be added for the sake of adding). I admit I spent some good deal of time and energies in this proposal, and I did it even more everytime I indirectly dealt with similar themes on this forum; approximately, since my very first post on MU, I guess  :D

Let's give Galadriel the final cherry on top of the cake that every leader justly ought to be endowed with, in a reasonable combination among lore, gameplay and cinematographic atmosphere (factors that were at the heart of wonderful concepts as Sauron's iconic stance-system and Elrond's mount). I fortunately managed to provide some of the actual work in advance, having at hand the needed pictures and sounds (German and English). All of this is nonetheless in the Edain Team's precious hands. I will also try to gather other opinions here, if I may do it, because I really deem them vital for the development of the very debate  ;)